duckweed question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akagochi

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I thought it would be cool to add some floating plants to my 55 gal. community, so I nabbed some duckweed from the LFS. This stuff grows and spreads like something from the Sci-Fi channel!
Anyway, what how has duckweed affected your tanks, meaning your other plant's growth? It seems to want to cover the entire water surface area. Do I need to start tossing some of this stuff?

thanks,

55 gallon, , eheim 2215 cannister filter. aqueon 30, co2 regulator w/ 10 lb tank. coral life 54 watt T5 High output, Geisham DDO 54 watt aquaflora.
natural plants:anubias, amazon Swords, green cabomba, onion plant, hair grass, wisteria, duck weed, vallisneria, striped dragon plant, bamboo plant.
substrate: sand & gravel combo
community fish:
plattys-2
mollies-4
bristle nose pleco-1
pleco-1
neon tetras-10
cardinal tetras-5
glass cat fish-2
bala sharks-2
male beta-1
zebra danios-6
rummy nose tetra-5
silver tip tetra-4
dwarf gouramis-2
Siamese algae eaters-4

In a high light tank without co2 and ferts, its a monster pest. It will eat a lot of the ferts from the water column, and block some of the light, which may or may not be desirable.

hmmmm. I run Co2 and ferts.....Do you have any recommendations for other floating plants? My fish love them, especially the gouramis, but geez, I think I may have to start dumping this stuff. For the plants I have should I worry about the light blockage?

Duckweed is just that, a weed. I saw some in a display tank at an LFS once, it just basically covered the entire surface and the only thing that could live in the tank was java moss.

Red root floater is a good one.

I like water lettuce also, it stays small indoors but I noticed when I put it outside in container ponds it gets huge.

Frogbit, azolla, red root floaters, there's several different options for floaters.

Duckweed can be a menace, I have it in some tanks, but not in others, some fish eat it readily. My angelfish eat it faster than it can grow.

I have some in my 10 gallon tank because I like the look of it in small amounts.
When it starts to get out of hand I toss most of it in my 55 gallon and my angelfish and odessa barbs eat it like it's candy.
Even if you think you've removed all of it from a tank, in a week it will be making a comeback haha

I shiver at the sound of duck weed. My parents have a 1/2 acre pond at their house and a couple years ago it became infested with duckweed. The one year I was back visiting, we easily scooped a half ton of this weed off the surface only to find out it had regenerated overnight.

It's been a problem in their pond ever since.

Duckweeds a devil, you either want it or you dont , taking small portions out wont help, its probably depriving your other plants of the correct spectrum of light.
IMO take it all out.

I have it in both tanks now. I don't mind it in my 16 gal since the plants in there are plastic minus one moss ball, but in my 55 gal. this stuff has to go. I will just have to start scooping and tossing it out weekly; there are worse problems to have I guess.....

Thanks for all the awesome replies.

It is really nice to feel heard. :)

Back
Top Bottom