Dumb question, I know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why not? Lol, its not a dumb question. They are not really classified as a schooling fish, they will do ok by themselves, but some consider them to be a schooling fish. My personal preference for any small fish is to have a couple of the same species together. For example in my fiances tank, she has four dalmatian mollies and six sunset platies. She also has about 8 corydoras. She COULD have one molly, one platy, and 8 cories (corydoras are schooling fish), but they all like to interact with each other. I hope I didn't confuse you instead of helping you.

Not confused ny you, just my fish. Bought five platys tonight, amd it could be shock, but there are all hiding together in the back of the tank behind the deco. I don't know.

Turn the lights off and give them some time. Its just stress, shock too maybe. Keep an eye on those water parameters. Was your tank cycled?

Platies aren't generally classified as "true" schooling fish like Tetras, but they are social.

As for the "shocked" Platies...
1. What size tank?
2. Water parameters?
3. How did you acclimate them?

Sent from my iPod touch using the AA app :)

I have a couple hifin variatus..which are pretty much platties..they were the most scared little fishies I've ever seen when introduced to the tank..they hid down in a corner for ages and I thought something must be wrong but eventually they overcame their fears :)

They are social shoalers as are most fish. They like to be in groups but don't display schooling characteristics: Swimming in the same direction, staying tightly bound.

IMO any fish that prefers the company of others of their kind qualify as schooling fish. Schooling is often used as a generic term to describe social fish.

In any event, actual schooling in an aquarium is not very common. Many fish that school in nature don't in the aquarium because there's just not enough space to do so. So they end up "shoaling". Shoaling is when the fish exist as a group but are not all traveling in the same direction. It's not a matter of whether fish school or shoal, because they only describe what he group of fish is doing. Schooling fish shoal in an aquarium because there's no where to go.

So the short answer is it's good that you got 5.

Back
Top Bottom