dumb question maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smcoyle87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so I know this may be kind of stupid but...

Do fry from the same brood grow up and pair with each other to mate?

They may, and it may lead to inbreeding. Once you get into breeding for specific traits you may intentionally inbreed to keep a specific trait. The long fin trait in Bristlenoses is a result of inbreeding I believe.

No question is a stupid question, just stupid people, just kidding.;)

Just like the guy above, they could decide to pair up. And maybe inbreed If they decided to and didn't know they were "siblings" I guess.

But I am far from being an expert on breeding.

They have no inhibition to mating with siblings like humans do xD But if you're going to be breeding for multiple generations, then you need to make sure to get new fish into the bloodline to prevent problems with inbreeding. usually not a problem unless you're breeding professionally.

--Adeeb

Ok, well the reason I ask is because I am currently breeding Kribs and Apisto Caca. I plan on selling them to a lfs when they are big enough and sexes can be determined. I'm really just wondering what is going to become of them as I have gotten sort of attached to the little ones!
Is the lfs going to throw them all in the same tank and then sell them to unknowing customers as pairs?!

Ok, well the reason I ask is because I am currently breeding Kribs and Apisto Caca. I plan on selling them to a lfs when they are big enough and sexes can be determined. I'm really just wondering what is going to become of them as I have gotten sort of attached to the little ones!
Is the lfs going to throw them all in the same tank and then sell them to unknowing customers as pairs?!

That's a question to ask your LFS owner!

--Adeeb

I rarely see LFS sell fish as pairs. Especially if you tell them they are from the same parents.

Back
Top Bottom