DW issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
So a little while ago, my dad put in a piece of driftwood in one of his aquariums. It was purchased from an lfs. After two or three weeks everything started to die. Before he put the wood in his aquarium he boiled. But the fish still died so he put the wood away.

The other day I noticed that the dw was held onto the rock by a screw. Unfortunately the screw was all rusty! So I took the screw out and siliconed it to a rock with some old aquarium silicone we had lying around the house. Now would it have been the wood still had some type of disease in it or was it the rust?

Also what would be the best way to clean it? Soak it in a bucket of water for a day then drain it and repeat?

I am not sure if rust killed your fish or not. Just make sure you let silicone cure at least for a week. Then soak dw in dechlorinated water for 5 days, changing water daily.

I very much doubt that the rust on the screw was the problem. I know more than a few people who put lots of washers and/or nails on the bottom of their tanks before adding substrate for plants, to provide iron. As well, I doubt that driftwood would carry a fish disease. That isn't to say that it couldn't have somehow been contaminated, although after boiling, that is a remote possibility. I think the fact that the fish dies several weeks after adding the wood, make it unlikely that the wood is the problem.
What is the normal water change routine for that tank?

I don't think the rust was the killer. I have seen many established tanks with rusty hardware around/in them. I don't think it's a good thing, but I don't think it will be the killer.

You probably had some other issue. How was the parameters? PWC schedule? Any new fish introduced? Any Febreeze get into the tank? Or sometimes fish will pop up with a disease after you have had them for awhile and it wipes out the whole set-up.

Boiling and a good scrub-down is always recommended with new driftwood and after you have put silicon. You used 100% Si, correct?

Sitting it in water and changing the water will just pull out tannins. If you do not like tannins, then go for it. But, some people, like myself, love the color. It's up to you.

Probably 50% every other week. The tank was set up for 5 months before he added the wood. Would you take the possibility and add it again or just go buy a new one?

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I don't think the rust was the killer. I have seen many established tanks with rusty hardware around/in them. I don't think it's a good thing, but I don't think it will be the killer.

You probably had some other issue. How was the parameters? PWC schedule? Any new fish introduced? Any Febreeze get into the tank? Or sometimes fish will pop up with a disease after you have had them for awhile and it wipes out the whole set-up.

Boiling and a good scrub-down is always recommended with new driftwood and after you have put silicon. You used 100% Si, correct?

Sitting it in water and changing the water will just pull out tannins. If you do not like tannins, then go for it. But, some people, like myself, love the color. It's up to you.

What are tannins? And the silicone I used was marineland aquarium sealant. So it is ok for me to boil it again? The silicone wouldn't melting anything likethat? I attached a photo of the silicone I used.

Attachments

• image-3731662415.jpg
    image-3731662415.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 61
Idk about that silicon if you boil it but marine land is a good product. Tannins will make your water yellow! It's not harmful to the fish but makes your water a yellow color.

DW can also make your water stink a little too. The silicone wont melt away but it will weaken it from heating and cooling. Just dont run it uder cold water right away after its hot, let it cool gradually.

Ok sounds like a plan. Thank you all for the help, im sure the plecos will be happy.

So it shouldn't harm the fish in any way then? Doesn't add up in your minds so it should be safe in mine. But still I went out and bought a new piece of dw. I can put the old one in the 110 for the l-83. I boiled the new when I got home and have been soaking it for two days now.

When i boiled it, would the tannins be removed or do I still need to soak it? Also 5 days correct? I believe someone said that earlier. Also the new dw has a screw in the bottom which should not harm the fish correct? Just wanna be sure

Back
Top Bottom