DW-keep, toss, fix?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found these pieces of DW yesterday while walking by the marsh. They have marsh mud on them. I thought I could clean it off by hosing them down, but it's pretty embedded in the wood. It doesn't come off if I touch it, but it is enough residue to give the wood a grey tone (and marshy smell). My question is, is there a way to clean this properly? Scrub it? Should I just toss it? Would it cause any problems in my tank if I decide to use it?

Thanks!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428361445.525044.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Very cool pieces!

I don't know of a chemical solution that would take it off(though I'm sure someone will come swooping in and tell you of one)

I've always got down and dirty with a scrub brush.

If you can press your fingernail into the wood it will eventually rot.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You could try boiling them to kill off any nasties and loosen the gunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good to know! This top bark that the mud is on is kind of soft. I can dig a nail in it. But what is under this thin layer is solid.

If you do not mind it lightening up some you could soak it in bleach water. 1 teaspoon per gallon of water will kill any nasties that might be on it. Soak it for a couple of days and then rinse really well. Follow that up by a soak in clean water with Prime or other tank water treatment that removes chlorine. You might want to scrub the soft top layer off.

You could try boiling them to kill off any nasties and loosen the gunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There was actually a crab hitchhiker in one of the holes. Thanks for all the responses! I think I will boil, scrub and rinse.

Back
Top Bottom