Dwarf Albino Bristlenose Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought a pair and am wondering if anyone here has had any experience keeping or spawning them?

I'd really like to know about their ideal foods. How often and how much?
They currently have their own 29 gal bb tank. Temp 80, PH 7.0

Thanks
Brian

Oh cute! I wanna see one! I don't know about their care, however, sorry for that...but I wanted a bristlenose for my tank but went with a rubber lip because the LFS didn't have any...

My Bristlenose stays in his cave any time the lights are on, I catch a glimpse in the 30 seconds it take the fish to realize the lights are going to stay on, then he goes to the cave. The cave it two pieces of black slate leaned on each other. The fish comes out at night and sucks on the rocks and every so often he decides to clean algae off the glass. I drop in one Hikari algae wafer a week when the tank lights are off and the fish goes to it after it has been in the tank for a few minutes. I would classify it as the most boring fish ever, but I still like it :)

i have had pretty good luck breeding them........i have found that if you want to breed them you need to give them a tank of their own (i use a 20 long)...and caves and such. you need to feed them very well. i use zuchinni, spirulina pellets and shrimp pelletts. and do a large water change about every 3-4 days......

the female lays the eggs and thats IT.....she does nothing else. the father will protect the eggs......(side note: the eggs are a lot larger than you'd expect.)
fa587789.jpg

and when they hatch he will stay with them constantly...
fa58778d.jpg

this will continue for a while, until he just can't keep up with all of them......
fa4eacb1.jpg

the lil guys will eat zuchinni.

hope this helped some. and good luck.

Great pics Mike, and thanks for the advice. I'm using a Hydro IV sponge filter with a power head, doing 25% water changes daily.

About zuchini. Should it be "organic" only? I'm having touble finding that. Also, what do you think about the bare bottom tank? Just wondering if it freaks them out at all?

Brian :)

I think as long as they have caves and hidey holes they should be content. I know they do like to rest on sandy substrates, though. I use regular zuchinni without any trouble, but I do scrub the heck out of it first. I have tried blanching it versus not blanching it, and don't see a difference in terms of how they like it. When I got my bristlenoses it took a week or two before I saw them at all, but now they come out much more.

Definitely post some pics!

Pl*co's seem to need alot of time to get used to those big monsters [us] that linger outside the tank.

it took my first one, an Albino common, almost a month to get used to me before he would come out.. then he died. 8O

New ones playing the same hiding game.

BrianNY said:
Great pics Mike, and thanks for the advice. I'm using a Hydro IV sponge filter with a power head, doing 25% water changes daily.

About zuchini. Should it be "organic" only? I'm having touble finding that. Also, what do you think about the bare bottom tank? Just wondering if it freaks them out at all?

Brian :)

i don't know about others here, but i had no luck when doing daily water changes. but doing a 50% every 3 days seems to trigger something.

i always use normal ol zuchinni from the grocery store. i tried blanching and just raw. i too saw that it makes no diffrence to the fish. so now i just wash it well and cut it up. i rubberband it to a rock and put it in the tank.

i like the bare bottom tank. and the fish don't seem to mind. heavy feeding means heavy waste. especially from these guys *L* so personally i think it's the way to go.

anyway.........keep us posted to how yours are doing. and good luck.

If you're successful, can I buy one off of you??? I really want one of these guys to be a buddy to my Rubber Lipped guy because he's the outcast in my tank and I feel bad for him. Does anyone wanna sell me a Bristle Nose Pleco??? Purlease??? I saw them on this website for like $15 or something like that. I'm not sure.

Punkymom said:
If you're successful, can I buy one off of you??? I really want one of these guys to be a buddy to my Rubber Lipped guy because he's the outcast in my tank and I feel bad for him. Does anyone wanna sell me a Bristle Nose Pleco??? Purlease??? I saw them on this website for like $15 or something like that. I'm not sure.

i'll hook you up on a couple if you want them. but mine are a standard color (with the recessive albino gene because the mother is a standard) not albino.

and you may have to wait a lil while. mine are not large enough to ship yet.

Hey Punkymom........ If I'm succesful, you can have one. NO CHARGE :) :)

I'm thrilled to be getting such wonderful advice!!!

Cool...Let me know when they're big enough...and the standard color is fine, too. I think they're so cuyoote!!!! I don't have the time nor energy to invest in breeding fish. Maybe someday, but my children are babies, I work full time and I have 3 rabbits to take up the rest of my time. Sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom