dwarf bnp plec?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishkeeper90

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok so when we were breeding brown bnp we had a few batches but last ones hatched begining of the year (about 4 months ago) we got 4 left from that last batch ... however 3 of the babies are close to 2inch already but one has not grown at all its eating fine healthy active etc its just very small the other 3 are like quadrupal the size at least of this one its about the same size as our batch of blue eyed lemon babies that hatched a week ago lol its literally only about 1 cm it just will not grow what could be wrong its in a 3ft tank with 5 adult lemons and its 3 siblings

As you know, it's a myth that fish will grow to the size of their tank. But it's not a myth that certain genes that are recessive can actually get turned on immediately upon conception. Your little plec may simply be a runt due to genes retarding it's growth rate and even final adult size. As long as he eats and appears healthy, it looks like you have a special member of your family...a definite keeper.
ok so when we were breeding brown bnp we had a few batches but last ones hatched begining of the year (about 4 months ago) we got 4 left from that last batch ... however 3 of the babies are close to 2inch already but one has not grown at all its eating fine healthy active etc its just very small the other 3 are like quadrupal the size at least of this one its about the same size as our batch of blue eyed lemon babies that hatched a week ago lol its literally only about 1 cm it just will not grow what could be wrong its in a 3ft tank with 5 adult lemons and its 3 siblings

As you know, it's a myth that fish will grow to the size of their tank. But it's not a myth that certain genes that are recessive can actually get turned on immediately upon conception. Your little plec may simply be a runt due to genes retarding it's growth rate and even final adult size. As long as he eats and appears healthy, it looks like you have a special member of your family...a definite keeper.
we had 3 batches of browns (dad brown mum blue eyed lemon) and this is the only one that we are aware of thats stayed so small .... will it ever be able to breed or will it ever show its sex aka if its male will it still grow bristles as i know they normally start to show at about 2-3inch or 6-8months + but i dont think it will ever get to 2 inch but will get to 6 month plus lol

not like we would breed from it even if we were to keep it ... we got the other 3 up for sale but i doubt anyone will want it as its so small and our local pet shop wont take it that small even though is about 4-5months old lol

not like we would breed from it even if we were to keep it ... we got the other 3 up for sale but i doubt anyone will want it as its so small and our local pet shop wont take it that small even though is about 4-5months old lol
I'm not sure if you know this, but a mule is a crossbreed between a horse and a donkey. Even though the horse and donkey can breed and produce a mule, the mules are always female and sterile. It's such an impossible guarantee as to what, if any, other genetic abnormalities the fish may live perfectly healthy with the same lifespan as it's siblings and may or may not be sterile. Other than size, you've made it sound healthy and normal. Anything else that may be abnormal about the fish may only be things that time will tell.

I'm not sure if you know this, but a mule is a crossbreed between a horse and a donkey. Even though the horse and donkey can breed and produce a mule, the mules are always female and sterile. It's such an impossible guarantee as to what, if any, other genetic abnormalities the fish may live perfectly healthy with the same lifespan as it's siblings and may or may not be sterile. Other than size, you've made it sound healthy and normal. Anything else that may be abnormal about the fish may only be things that time will tell.
so if its sterile does that mean it would be a female or have no gender?

No. It just means that if it's male, it won't produce sperm...and if female, no eggs. But it may not be sterile. I was just using the mule as a comparison of a genetic abnormality that you would not know about because you can't see it. You can only care for it and see what time reveals.
so if its sterile does that mean it would be a female or have no gender?

ok ... only because we dont want anymore brown babies but its way too tiny to go in main tank it would get eaten by the clown loaches and the tank its in atm is our breeding tank so if it wernt sterile i think breeding would kill it so if it was to start showing signs of breeding might have to put it in our 50 litre fry tank ... also if we were to put it in the fry tank would you think it would grow anymore as it hasnt grown since it was about what must be 2-3weeks old lol and now about 4-5 months old ... as we got fry from different ages around 6 weeks to 1 week old and the 6 week olds are bigger then this tiddler

ok ... only because we dont want anymore brown babies but its way too tiny to go in main tank it would get eaten by the clown loaches and the tank its in atm is our breeding tank so if it wernt sterile i think breeding would kill it so if it was to start showing signs of breeding might have to put it in our 50 litre fry tank ... also if we were to put it in the fry tank would you think it would grow anymore as it hasnt grown since it was about what must be 2-3weeks old lol and now about 4-5 months old ... as we got fry from different ages around 6 weeks to 1 week old and the 6 week olds are bigger then this tiddler
Dwarf human beings can have children that can grow to normal height. It always depends on the genetic makeup at the time of conception.

Dwarf human beings can have children that can grow to normal height. It always depends on the genetic makeup at the time of conception.
ok woud you say it prob be better in the 50litre pleco fry tank or keep it in the 3ft pleco breeding tank ive been saying to partner to put it in fry tank to see if it will grow a bit but he keeps saying no just leave it in the tank its in now im surprised it also hasnt been sucked up by the filter as its so small and theres no cover (over the outtake strainer) on it but when we had lots of them in there we had it covered ... tbh ive never seen it eat but it does hide up so it must be eating otherwise it would be dead by now so must be living off the fine bits that float around as its glass bottom ... which is why i thought put it in fry tank as they all similar sizes as its in a tank with 5 adults one male is about 5 inch and 2 females 3.5 inch and 1 male and one female about 3 inch plus its siblings

I personally think it would be better off in the fry tank where it won't be in danger of being attacked by larger fish. Plus, being so small, it can share the fry food.
ok woud you say it prob be better in the 50litre pleco fry tank or keep it in the 3ft pleco breeding tank ive been saying to partner to put it in fry tank to see if it will grow a bit but he keeps saying no just leave it in the tank its in now im surprised it also hasnt been sucked up by the filter as its so small and theres no cover (over the outtake strainer) on it but when we had lots of them in there we had it covered ... tbh ive never seen it eat but it does hide up so it must be eating otherwise it would be dead by now so must be living off the fine bits that float around as its glass bottom ... which is why i thought put it in fry tank as they all similar sizes as its in a tank with 5 adults one male is about 5 inch and 2 females 3.5 inch and 1 male and one female about 3 inch plus its siblings

I personally think it would be better off in the fry tank where it won't be in danger of being attacked by larger fish. Plus, being so small, it can share the fry food.
the only fish in the breeding is bnps the fry get given algea wafers and veg same as adults we dont give them anything special

Back
Top Bottom