Dwarf cichlid compatibility?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! I'm still in the process of cycling my tank but am starting to think about what I'd like to put in it. It's a 28 gal and currently has 2 neons and 1 gourami from my old set up. I eventually want to have 8 neons, 1 gourami, 1 snail and 2 dwarf cichlids.

I'm not sure yet what kind of cichlids I want but I'm leaning toward either cockatoo apistos or agassazi (sp?). I was going to get a pair of cockatoos but I've read that they can breed very easily. With no extra tank to put them in, I really don't want to have to deal with fry swimming around.

So, since I have the room and I really wanted to get two cichlids, I was wondering if it's possible to have two different types in the same tank. I was also possibly considering rams so would 1 ram and 1 apisto be okay together? If not, are there any tips to keep apistos from breeding or how I could keep fry safe if they do breed?

your LFS would happily take apistos since most can even special order them. these are pretty rare fish. plus most fish will eat the eggs and fry.

Yeah I've had platy fry before when I unknowingly bought a pregnant platy and had them in a net breeder until they were big enough to donate to my lfs. I guess I'm just asking if this is avoidable because I'm a bit sentimental and hate to see fry getting eaten by bigger fish.

they'll do fine in a breeder net just when they get too big add them to the tank and get them big enough to sail but IMEDIATLY take them out if the adult pair seem to be spawning.ill have some fry soon and will be getting store crediut or some cash for sure bc no store i've seen can get them in.

I've read that they need hiding places in the tank and I don't really have any with the decorations I have now. Are they recommended or would a lack of a hiding place prevent them from spawning? Sorry I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to breeding. I do have an extra 10gal lying around but it's just the tank with no hardware. I'd set that up as a extra if I could but I don't really have the room.

rocks are a cichlids best friend. just go outside and search bring em inside test them with vinegar and if they dont bubble bake them and use a wire brush to scrub them. a 10 gallon would be great all you would need is a filter with some panty hose over it and a heater. you could probably get a peice of plywood and set it up on the ground or on the kitchen table. they also like driftwood and plants. oh and flower pots are good to the unpainted clay ones.

ok I don't really have any rocks besides some road gravel outside but my lfs has some rock decorations as well as some pieces of shale and slate for sale for outdoor ponds. My 28 gal is a bowfront though and doesn't have as much floor space as some others. The problem is gonna be convincing my mom to add some stuff. Since it's in "her" living room she has final say on decorations. Is there any minimal amount of rocks to get or an ideal way to place them? Maybe some pics?

here's my tank so far.
5858342078_a9f87706bf.jpg

the plants are a little rearanged now. let me see if i can get a pic of joyler tank

ok yeah this is what my tank looks like now

img_1422127_0_7ccdcd1770cb7b4513567cc4988d6b93.jpg

As you can see there's not much room for rocks but I'm definitely open to suggestions on how I can make it more apisto friendly.

ok I'm pretty sure I can get a hold of some small clay flower pots at my local garden center. Would pots with 2-3" diameter openings be big enough? I'm not sure I'd have room for anything much bigger.

Back
Top Bottom