Dwarf cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dallascowboys16

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an established 55 gallon planted tank and for my last additions I would like to add a pair or trio of dwarf chiclids. I would like something a little more uncommon than german blue rams and Bolivians. Any ideas?

I have an established 55 gallon planted tank and for my last additions I would like to add a pair or trio of dwarf chiclids. I would like something a little more uncommon than german blue rams and Bolivians. Any ideas?

Whats your current stock?

Apistogrammas, kribs, and German blue rams are my favorites.

My current stock is:
1 female betta, 6 cardnial tetras, 6 glowlight tetras, 6 black neons, 1 rainbow shark, 1 angelfish, 3 panda cories, 5 platys, and 3 bnps

Idk how a rainbow would do with the appisyograma. Mine didn't bother my rams but appisyograma have some flamboyant fins and coloring which may trigger some aggression by the shark. Mine hated my plattys.

German blue rams would be a perfect addition, they are a bit sensitive though, but I don't think it's that much

A trio of Apistogramma agassizii, any of the colors would work as long as you have some cave like structures for spawning. They are small but very mighty. When I first set the 220g up I put an old trio in and while they were alive they ruled the tank! The rams wouldn't mess with them as the Agassizii gave better than they got and even the angels would get run if they ventured into their little territories. They have big personalities and are actually fun little fish. I had Double Red's but there are Triple Red's, and Oranges. You can usually find them for sale on Aquabid.

Another good one would be Apistogramma cacatuoides. Again there are different colors and they tend to be more easy going and peaceful (at least mine always were).

As for the shark if it's not big right now and you don't overcrowd your tank it might be okay. You will just have to monitor things, even if you decide to go with a pair of rams. It may or may not work.

Yeah my tank water is pristine and has had perfect water chemistry ever since I cycled so I think I'll go with german blue rams or maybe a trio of checkerboard chiclids. Thanks everyone!:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom