Dwarf frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickeybags

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
I've recently picked up an African Dwarf Frog for my 1.5 gallon planted tank. There is also a male betta in it. They keep to themselves and have both been stress free. My problem is feeding the frog.

The "expert" at my LFS told me to feed him shrimp pellets every other day. So I bought the pellets and when I when I opened them up they were obviously to big for him. I've been using a pill cutter to get them as small as possible but I still see them at the bottom of the tank.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how I should feed this guy? Also would he be better off in my 10 gallon with dwarf gourami and emerald cats. (Both tanks are planted)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hand feed them frozen bloodworm, might take a few days but they will start eating from your fingers. Or try putting the food on a small plate on the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes, what Simmie said. But you're probably better off putting him in the 10 gallon. 1.5 gallons is much too small for both a betta and a frog. Also, ADFs are nocturnal feeders so you can try adding food a bit after lights out. Hand feeding is best to ensure he gets enough to eat and that you don't overfeed and pollute your water.

I used to feed mine the un-frozen bloodworms from a 1 cc syringe, right in front of them. That way they see the movement and will eat them right away.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm also having a tough time feeding my ADF. The filter is made for a 5-10 gallon tank and the tank is 2.5 gallons. Not great and the food falls under the gravel.... sigh. Suggestions?

I used to hand feed mine as well, it got to the point where it would come running when I put my hand in lol. It only takes a few minutes to do, a lot of adfs won't eat pellets or flakes and slowly starve to death

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom