Dwarf Fuffer with False Siamensis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Burns

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all, tomorrow afternoon I'll be placing a plant order with AZ Gardens and since they have to ship overnight, I wanted to add a few animals. Their site says the dwarf puffers are raised in the same tank as the shrimp, which is good because there will be amano shrimp in the tank eventually. I was thinking about getting 2-4 puffers. There is already a false siamensis (very fast, hyper fish) in the tank which is heavily planted with tons of places for it to hide if needed. Any problems with this?

[edit]
I might add two otos if that's ok.

The false SAE is called the flying fox and gets rather aggressive. It's not a very suitable tankmate for dwarfs. For some reason otos do quite well with dwarfs.

cdawson said:
The false SAE is called the flying fox
That's incorrect. The flying fox is Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus, whereas the false siamensis is a species of Epalzeorhynchus, but not kalopterus. Some have even labelled it as Garra taeniata, but I think the E. sp. is a better description. Most descriptions I have read about false siamensis say that it is aggressive to its own kind when it gets older, but not as territorial as the flying fox. There are some other makrings that distinguish the flying fox from the false siamensis...

I'm going to hold off on getting the fish/shrimp because I placed the order with floridadriftwood.com since they had certain plant that azgardens.com did not.

Mr Burns said:
cdawson said:
The false SAE is called the flying fox
That's incorrect. The flying fox is Epalzeorhynchus kalopterus, whereas the false siamensis is a species of Epalzeorhynchus, but not kalopterus. Some have even labelled it as Garra taeniata, but I think the E. sp. is a better description. Most descriptions I have read about false siamensis say that it is aggressive to its own kind when it gets older, but not as territorial as the flying fox. There are some other makrings that distinguish the flying fox from the false siamensis...

I'm going to hold off on getting the fish/shrimp because I placed the order with floridadriftwood.com since they had certain plant that azgardens.com did not.

So it seems, I thought there was only two species in question? Have you been able to find any pictures regarding this topic. I'd be interested to find out the difference. I have both false siamensis, chinese and siamese algae eaters, I'd like to be able to tell the difference between all FIVE species. I can already tell the difference between the first three, but I couldn't find any pics on the other two species.

Back
Top Bottom