Dwarf gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezimmer1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
Y dwarf gourami is acting weird. It keeps acting like it can't swim but the flipper things are still moving. Sometimes it floats to the top and then goes straight to the bottom... I even got stuck to the filter which it normally doesn't do:( Can someone help me please?

It doesn't really matter it is dead now. But I would still like to know what is going on

I'm sorry. :( I'm a newbie, myself, so I can't help much. I could say that maybe it was air bladder disease...but I really haven't a clue. The "professionals" will want to know your water quality and water test results.... do you have a water test kit?

How big is the tank and how long has it been set up? What other fish are in the tank?

First off, sorry about your dwarf, i know the feeling very well, I've had two die on me in 2 weeks. Alot of dwarf gouramis are having problems with Ill health, Have you heard of dwarf gourami disease?? You might wanna look it up and see if any of the symptoms your fish had match up with the disease.

Ezimmer1990, you may want to start a thread in the FW General Discussion part of the board since the Fish and Plant Profiles is not really the best place to get your question answered.

Territoons said:
I'm sorry. :( I'm a newbie, myself, so I can't help much. I could say that maybe it was air bladder disease...but I really haven't a clue. The "professionals" will want to know your water quality and water test results.... do you have a water test kit?

Haha. I have one and I tested it and it was all fine.

Aces11 said:
How big is the tank and how long has it been set up? What other fish are in the tank?

The tank is a five gallon:/ J had three other platys bit two died like the day before:( it's been set up for one or two months now

Chris22 said:
First off, sorry about your dwarf, i know the feeling very well, I've had two die on me in 2 weeks. Alot of dwarf gouramis are having problems with Ill health, Have you heard of dwarf gourami disease?? You might wanna look it up and see if any of the symptoms your fish had match up with the disease.

Okay I'll look it up:)

bruinsbro1997 said:
What were the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? DGs are ridiculously sensitive to water quality if you're not careful.

They were almost perfect:/

adadkins1 said:
Ezimmer1990, you may want to start a thread in the FW General Discussion part of the board since the Fish and Plant Profiles is not really the best place to get your question answered.

Okay I didnt know... I pretty new to all of this so I thought I would just post it to the fish section:/

I just added 2 powder blue dwarf gourami which were to be male and female. the male has the blue with red stripes and red on the fins and I'm told the female is smaller and just blue colour. The two seem to keep chasing each other and pecking at each other off and on. I fed them and they didn't fight over the food.

They are in a 10 gallon with 3 platies and a couple bottom feeders. And plants in both corners.They don't bother the other fish at, all even if they swim up to them. The male keeps paying a lot of attention to my net box in the tank with 2 baby platy fry though :S so I might need to get the fry out before he jumps in it for a second supper.

Will this calm down over time? They don't seem to be trying to seriously hurt each other because they give up easily and go different directions for a few minutes.

Well, to tell you the truth, a 10g should only have a single dwarf gourami. If you want a male and a female, you should really have at least a 20g IMO. This just gives them more room to spread out and more hiding spots.

hmm, I was just going by what the fish store told me to do. I figured I could trust them the most since they just specialize in fish only unlike normal pet stores that sell all animals.
I think i will contact them tomorrow and see if they will allow me to take the one back even if they don't return any money the fish would be happier.
Thank you

No problem.

A lot of pet shops probably know their stuff, but really a 20g is what a pair needs to be happy and stress free.

Back
Top Bottom