Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an 8 gallon tank that will soon only have 6 ghost shrimp, I was wondering if a dwarf gourami would work. I was also thinking about otos too but I don't know about them either. Any ideas or should I forget it and look at something else? Thanks!

Heres some food for thought. Where r u getting u dwarf gourami from? Most big chains get them from Asia and all those dwarfs end up having dwarf gourami syndrome. American breeders tend to have better quality DGs.

I have no clue where I would get them... But aquabid is looking like a good place that I might get them:)

I also want to add that the tank is slightly planted but will be heavily planted soon once I get everything around.

I would google dwarf gourami syndrome because not all gouramis get it. If memory serves me correctly sparkling gouramis don't get it and are much smaller so you could put two in there. Also don't put two males in the tank because one will dominate the other. Females are more dull in there identifying marks. Finally having a planted tank is always better than not because the plants act as a filter for things that may not do good to your potential gouramis.
Aquabid might be a good place to get a dwarf because you can get an American based breeder and you can ask questions such as the threat of dwarf gourami virus

Ok, but will they be good in an 8 gallon? I don't it to be too crowded. Plus I want to put some bottom feeder in there(probably dwarf cories).

Even sparkling gouramis? I've read some threads and web pages on them and so far I've came out pretty good... I was now wondering how many or if dwarfs could go in, but I probably won't do the dwarfs because they moght not have enough space. Thanks for the heads up!

A sparkling may be ok, but i'm not too familiar with them. Someone else can answer that. Definitley no dwarf gouramis though.

With an 8 gallon i'd go with some nano fish like danios or tetras, but thats just me!!

Ok, will cross out the DG. I already have a tank with some nano fish and wanted a larger small fish for it! Thanks for the input! No DGs.

Back
Top Bottom