Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a male DG, along with: 5 neon tetras and 1 - 3" BN. The tank looks very empty, as the tetra's tend to stay at the bottom of the tank. I was considering purchasing a female DG, but I'm not sure whether the male will constantly attack her. What do you guys think? Should I go with the female, or add something else?

Your tank is much too small to accommodate both male and female gouramis. They are very aggressive towards each other and require a larger tank.

I agree with Lynda, DG's are notoriously aggressive towards each other. Maybe get some more tetras? Do you still have the 4 pristella tetras as your sig indicates? If so I would bump their school size up too.

I thought that was the case, but I thought I'd check first. I guess I was just a little too hopeful haha

I don't know why I didn't mention them. I do still have them, but I'm not very keen on the fish so I don't really want to add more.... unless of course they need to be in a group of 6.

I was thinking about adding a few more neon's, not sure how many more to add though. Another 5?

I need something that will fill up the mid/top level, which is also colourful. The fish only seem to swim there when I feed them, which is a bit of a pain lol

Thanks for your help guys :)

White cloud mountain minnows are tiny hardy fish that are always swimming near the top of the tank, they'll be great for a tank your size. Zebra danios too, but they might be a bit too big and active for a 15 gallon. People say 20 gallon is the minimum, but I think it can be doable in a 15 depending on the shape of your tank (longer, shorter tanks have a larger footprint).

My white clouds school with my rummies and they're all over the tank. Sometimes, I think my fish didn't get the memo that explained which level of the tank they were supposed to be at. :)

My tank is 24'' long....so quite a bit of swimming space :)

Aren't the Minnows a dull,grey colour though?

I've wanted Mosquito Rasbora for a while... I love their pink/red colour, but I'm concerned they may get eaten by my DG. Am I being paranoid? lol

Thanks :) I'll have to visit my LFS and have a proper look. How many do you think I could have in my tank? Baring in mind, that i'll likely be adding more neons too.

I've been doing this for 2 years and I still can't get my head around stocking a tank lol

I've been doing a little research online and quite like the Red Serpae Tetra... I plan to change my gravel to black, and I think these will add colour and stand out in the tank. They grow about 1.5 inches, so the question is..... can I have these in my tank? Would you add another group of fish? :)

I've been doing a little research online and quite like the Red Serpae Tetra... I plan to change my gravel to black, and I think these will add colour and stand out in the tank. They grow about 1.5 inches, so the question is..... can I have these in my tank? Would you add another group of fish? :)

IMO, no serpaes. They are notoriuosly nippy and I would never recommend them to be with a gourami of any sort. Some people have experience with them being peaceful, but that would require a bigger tank, and carefully chosen tankmates IMO. Also, your tank is a bit small IMO for too many schoolers. Personally, I think the 2 schools you have is enough, I don't think you have space for another one. You could up your numbers though so you have 6 neons.

Back
Top Bottom