Dwarf gourami and female betta in 29 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I have a question, assuming you might have angels, are they really that aggressive?
I mean, I have three in a 55 gallon, the smallest fish in there are scissor ail rasboras, and the angels don't bother them at all, two are about quarter sized, and the other is about three times that
They are very peacefully fish, is it possible for me to have one in my 29 gallon, the smallest. Fish in there will be neon tetras, is it possible?

What would you like to know about corys? I have quite a few different types & love them. I also have a few different types of loaches. I'll help if I can.
Oh & you can also have more than 1 female beta in a tank assuming you have room. Mine like to stick close to each other. It's a good way to add a little flash in a tank. These are my 4 girls

image-4092947803.jpg

image-3196716621.jpg

image-1656794144.jpg

image-3449096066.jpg

What would you like to know about corys? I have quite a few different types & love them. I also have a few different types of loaches. I'll help if I can.
Oh & you can also have more than 1 female beta in a tank assuming you have room. Mine like to stick close to each other. It's a good way to add a little flash in a tank. These are my 4 girls

Nice bettas!

Ok, now I'm really in a dilemma!
Ok, here are my options for my centerpiece fish
One angelfish
2 female bettas
One dwarf gourami
Can I mix An angelfish with female bettas, or just stick with one type of fish
Help!

I have to back out of the angel debate. I've never had them because I've been told that they can be aggressive & I don't want that in my tank. They also take up a bit of space once they get larger. I also have been told that gouramis like to be in pairs to be happier & in my experience that is the case. Every time I've had just 1 it has spent most of its time hiding. Once I put the 2nd in they perk up & spend most of their time front & center. Of course this is just my experience

Ok, so what would you recommend, I am having neon tetras, red platys, and ballon bellied Molly's. What is a good centerpiece, dwarf gouramis, or female bettas?

I also know nothing of mollys or plattys so not sure how to help there. I suggest get your base fish, the ones you're sure about. Put them in & then wait until you see something you really just have to have. Maybe it's a female beta maybe it'll be the gouramis. And it also depends on what colors you want in the tank. What are you aiming for? My suggestion is don't plan it all now. Go look at all the fish rooms near you & make notes. Think about, research & then decide. You don't have to add all the fish now.

Ok, now I'm really in a dilemma!
Ok, here are my options for my centerpiece fish
One angelfish
2 female bettas
One dwarf gourami
Can I mix An angelfish with female bettas, or just stick with one type of fish
Help!

Angels. I wouldn't call mine aggressive but they do assert their place in the tank. Everybody else in that tank knows who's boss. I haven't seen a ton of aggression but I have seen some aggression from her as I introduce new fish which lasts the first day, and that's
it, then she's done. She lets them know she's queen of the tank, she gets treated as such, and no other problems. I do have an angel in a 30 gallon and would say one is possible in a 29. Just one. We have a plan to upgrade to a bigger tank so feel alright with the stock we have.
I would not be able to comment on an angel with a betta but I'd gather it's like many of these types of "centrepiece" fish in that they all have very individual temperaments. You have the two tanks so can experiment a bit here in that you always have an alternate plan if needed (just be careful not to stress everybody out with too much experimentation.). I have my angel with dwarf gourami and kribensis and haven't had any problems. In fact my gouramis swim along side the angel and seem very comfortable. My gourami are two males of different dwarf variety and they are best friends. The kribs, a pair, stay close to the bottom and they are the ones I really have to watch as they can be quite territorial and aggressive at times.
In my experience, and this is just mine, the live bearers seem to do fine with the betta (so far-it's only been a day!), angels, and gourami. That is just my experience though. We have had, alternately, mollies and platies in with these types of fish at various times.
Keep in mind that this is just our experience and that fish will respond differently to enviro, tank mates, etc.

I also know nothing of mollys or plattys so not sure how to help there. I suggest get your base fish, the ones you're sure about. Put them in & then wait until you see something you really just have to have. Maybe it's a female beta maybe it'll be the gouramis. And it also depends on what colors you want in the tank. What are you aiming for? My suggestion is don't plan it all now. Go look at all the fish rooms near you & make notes. Think about, research & then decide. You don't have to add all the fish now.

And I also agree whole heatedly with what Try-na says here...

Try-na, did you all your girls in together at once? Any problems with less than four?

I'm glad Try-na has all this experience with bettas and gouramis together. I have one female betta in my 55 gal with assorted fish. Plus, a neon blue DG, a pearl gourami, and a giant gourami. I'm glad to know she successfully added more female bettas. I'd love to have a few more of them but didn't know how they'd be with each other. Her knowledge gives me hope. I agree with her posting also about getting the base fish first and holding off on your centerpiece fish. I have a couple of centerpieces in my tank.

Try-na, did you all your girls in together at once? Any problems with less than four?

They did & all were fine. I have 1 girl I added later & she has a completely different personality & didn't seem happy. I have mover her into my shrimp tank for a bit to see if that helps & so far she's doing better. I plan to move her back in with others soon & see how it goes. She was a lot smaller & hid all the time so once she gets a bit bigger I'm sure she'll be fine

I'm glad Try-na has all this experience with bettas and gouramis together. I have one female betta in my 55 gal with assorted fish. Plus, a neon blue DG, a pearl gourami, and a giant gourami. I'm glad to know she successfully added more female bettas. I'd love to have a few more of them but didn't know how they'd be with each other. Her knowledge gives me hope. I agree with her posting also about getting the base fish first and holding off on your centerpiece fish. I have a couple of centerpieces in my tank.

I had a pair of giants & loved them. They really should be in pairs so possibly think about getting another one? Or they will also pair with the Thick Lipped & will cross breed if conditions are right. Be careful with the pearl. My turned very aggressive once he hit maturity & wouldn't let any of my other fish eat so I had to give him away. I've been told this can happen with them in planted tanks. Also be careful with Gold or the Blue (3 spot) as they are on the more aggressive side of the register as well.

I've found that if you add another female betta to the group you should try to get one that's close to the same size as the one you already have. Although peaceful they can be a bit of a bully & this makes it less likely.

I agree. Try-na's experience is so helpful to us who love the beautiful gourami varieties and would love to venture toward a tank of them. Thanks for the input, Try-na.

Back
Top Bottom