Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I have a question, assuming you might have angels, are they really that aggressive?
I mean, I have three in a 55 gallon, the smallest fish in there are scissor ail rasboras, and the angels don't bother them at all, two are about quarter sized, and the other is about three times that
They are very peacefully fish, is it possible for me to have one in my 29 gallon, the smallest. Fish in there will be neon tetras, is it possible?

Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

What would you like to know about corys? I have quite a few different types & love them. I also have a few different types of loaches. I'll help if I can.
Oh & you can also have more than 1 female beta in a tank assuming you have room. Mine like to stick close to each other. It's a good way to add a little flash in a tank. These are my 4 girls

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4092947803.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	171629

Name:	image-3196716621.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	171631

Name:	image-1656794144.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	171633

Name:	image-3449096066.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	171635

Old 05-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try-na View Post
What would you like to know about corys? I have quite a few different types & love them. I also have a few different types of loaches. I'll help if I can.
Oh & you can also have more than 1 female beta in a tank assuming you have room. Mine like to stick close to each other. It's a good way to add a little flash in a tank. These are my 4 girls
Nice bettas!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, now I'm really in a dilemma!
Ok, here are my options for my centerpiece fish
One angelfish
2 female bettas
One dwarf gourami
Can I mix An angelfish with female bettas, or just stick with one type of fish
Help!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have to back out of the angel debate. I've never had them because I've been told that they can be aggressive & I don't want that in my tank. They also take up a bit of space once they get larger. I also have been told that gouramis like to be in pairs to be happier & in my experience that is the case. Every time I've had just 1 it has spent most of its time hiding. Once I put the 2nd in they perk up & spend most of their time front & center. Of course this is just my experience
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, so what would you recommend, I am having neon tetras, red platys, and ballon bellied Molly's. What is a good centerpiece, dwarf gouramis, or female bettas?
Old 05-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

I also know nothing of mollys or plattys so not sure how to help there. I suggest get your base fish, the ones you're sure about. Put them in & then wait until you see something you really just have to have. Maybe it's a female beta maybe it'll be the gouramis. And it also depends on what colors you want in the tank. What are you aiming for? My suggestion is don't plan it all now. Go look at all the fish rooms near you & make notes. Think about, research & then decide. You don't have to add all the fish now.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

True, thank you, I'll go take a look at the fish I'm getting, thanks
Old 05-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
Ok, now I'm really in a dilemma!
Ok, here are my options for my centerpiece fish
One angelfish
2 female bettas
One dwarf gourami
Can I mix An angelfish with female bettas, or just stick with one type of fish
Help!
Angels. I wouldn't call mine aggressive but they do assert their place in the tank. Everybody else in that tank knows who's boss. I haven't seen a ton of aggression but I have seen some aggression from her as I introduce new fish which lasts the first day, and that's
it, then she's done. She lets them know she's queen of the tank, she gets treated as such, and no other problems. I do have an angel in a 30 gallon and would say one is possible in a 29. Just one. We have a plan to upgrade to a bigger tank so feel alright with the stock we have.
I would not be able to comment on an angel with a betta but I'd gather it's like many of these types of "centrepiece" fish in that they all have very individual temperaments. You have the two tanks so can experiment a bit here in that you always have an alternate plan if needed (just be careful not to stress everybody out with too much experimentation.). I have my angel with dwarf gourami and kribensis and haven't had any problems. In fact my gouramis swim along side the angel and seem very comfortable. My gourami are two males of different dwarf variety and they are best friends. The kribs, a pair, stay close to the bottom and they are the ones I really have to watch as they can be quite territorial and aggressive at times.
In my experience, and this is just mine, the live bearers seem to do fine with the betta (so far-it's only been a day!), angels, and gourami. That is just my experience though. We have had, alternately, mollies and platies in with these types of fish at various times.
Keep in mind that this is just our experience and that fish will respond differently to enviro, tank mates, etc.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try-na View Post
I also know nothing of mollys or plattys so not sure how to help there. I suggest get your base fish, the ones you're sure about. Put them in & then wait until you see something you really just have to have. Maybe it's a female beta maybe it'll be the gouramis. And it also depends on what colors you want in the tank. What are you aiming for? My suggestion is don't plan it all now. Go look at all the fish rooms near you & make notes. Think about, research & then decide. You don't have to add all the fish now.
And I also agree whole heatedly with what Try-na says here...

Tags
29 gallon, betta, dwarf, dwarf gourami, female, female betta, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com