Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2015, 11:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dwarf gourami dying

So my dwarf gourami is dying there's a picture of him. His eye is completely brown. He is still moving. Anyone else knows what is this?? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423452729.110186.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	263771

Old 02-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't.. how are your params?

Oh! Is it possible that this is Dwarf Gourami disease?

Old 02-08-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydeath View Post
I don't.. how are your params?

Oh! Is it possible that this is Dwarf Gourami disease?

All my params are good.
And is there such thing like that??
Old 02-08-2015, 11:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't have much experience about it, but there is yes. I would suggest researching it.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dwarf gourami disease was caused by breeders inbreeding these little guys so much it caused this. If in fact it is DWD I'm sorry its incurable from my understanding. It happens to like 7/10 DG. Like he said I would research the symptoms.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids
Old 02-09-2015, 06:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dwarf Gourami iridovirus

One of the symptoms of this infection in an enlarged spleen, often just looking like the fish is constipated or you've been feeding it too much. This can apparently happen months in advance, as my latest deceased Dwarf Gourami was looking extremely plump 3-4 months before the infection actually got to him.

Many fish affected by the iridorivus infection will, in their last days, refuse food and lay on their sides, breathing very heavily. It has been my experience that as the fish starts to pass it will become very discolored, often even appearing black where bright reds, blues, or yellows were once - supposedly due to stress happening within the body. Near the very end, as the gills stop functioning, Gourami fish will try to bolt for the surface, to suck in air. Unfortunately, if the infection doesn't get the fish, drowning certainly will.

Source: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...p/t-58036.html

The discoloration and laying on his side are definitely a match. I'm no disease expert but it looks quite possible.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
Old 02-09-2015, 06:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had a Dwarf Fire Belly Gourami not long ago, he came down with a back case of ick and died during heat treatment. Sorry yours is sick, no one likes seeing their fish like this.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
Old 02-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
I had a Dwarf Fire Belly Gourami not long ago, he came down with a back case of ick and died during heat treatment. Sorry yours is sick, no one likes seeing their fish like this.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Yeah. I read the same that there's no cure for this disease and I am really sad ! I haven't had any fish die for 2 months now. So it's pretty sad. So what should I do? Just flush? Or what? I don't like seeing him like this.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by briemol12 View Post
Yeah. I read the same that there's no cure for this disease and I am really sad ! I haven't had any fish die for 2 months now. So it's pretty sad. So what should I do? Just flush? Or what? I don't like seeing him like this.

I flush my fish. You could go to your yard and give him a proper burial. Put him out of his misery.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't flush him live. Do a search on here as there have been some humane suggestions on how to euthanize.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clove oil is the most recommended method for euthanizing. There are YouTube videos and guides online about doing it, just go buy a little bottle. Careful if you use a red plastic cup or styrofoam cup though, if clove oil sits in there too long it'll melt through the plastic or styrofoam. I had to euthanize a couple of fish and after it was done I left with some clove oil still in the cup, came back to the bottom of the plastic cup melted to the towel it was on. Huge mess and my room smelled like clove for a week and a half.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 02-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Paps44 View Post
Don't flush him live. Do a search on here as there have been some humane suggestions on how to euthanize.

To clarify *ALL* fish I have flushed were clearly dead.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImACoolguy View Post
To clarify *ALL* fish I have flushed were clearly dead.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.
Noted, comment was directed to OP as it seems she would like to end the suffering.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I just noticed this...am a new member. My gourami is in the process of dying,,...possibly the same problem except she has redness and raw areas on her face...started with a swollen lip and a white or grayish spot on her head...continued to get worse even with medication. I have three more and it looks like another one is getting the same thing. I don't know if it's the disease or not. I spoke with the breeder and he was adamant that his don't have that strain, and it is probably from fighting. But I think its either the disease or a really bad fungus infection. I put her in a breeder box to let her go in peace; the others are circling her. So sad. Have only had them a couple of weeks.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:27 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Lee View Post
I just noticed this...am a new member. My gourami is in the process of dying,,...possibly the same problem except she has redness and raw areas on her face...started with a swollen lip and a white or grayish spot on her head...continued to get worse even with medication. I have three more and it looks like another one is getting the same thing. I don't know if it's the disease or not. I spoke with the breeder and he was adamant that his don't have that strain, and it is probably from fighting. But I think its either the disease or a really bad fungus infection. I put her in a breeder box to let her go in peace; the others are circling her. So sad. Have only had them a couple of weeks.

Look up columnaris and see if it looks similar. Also, invest in clove oil to euthanize if it comes to that, it's better than just making the fish wait it out.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 03-18-2015, 04:52 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Yes. If it is, you want gram negative meds. Like Maracyn II or Kanamycin. What is your temp? Move it down a little, like 1 degree a day till it is closer to 75F.

Make sure it is real clove oil and not artificial. (if needed) My pharmacy tried to sell me the fake stuff because it is cheaper.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dwarf, dwarf gourami, dyi, dying, gourami, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com