Dwarf gourami dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my dwarf gourami is dying :( there's a picture of him. His eye is completely brown. He is still moving. Anyone else knows what is this?? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423452729.110186.jpg

I don't.. how are your params?

Oh! Is it possible that this is Dwarf Gourami disease?

I don't have much experience about it, but there is yes. I would suggest researching it.

Dwarf gourami disease was caused by breeders inbreeding these little guys so much it caused this. If in fact it is DWD I'm sorry its incurable from my understanding. It happens to like 7/10 DG. Like he said I would research the symptoms.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

Dwarf Gourami iridovirus

One of the symptoms of this infection in an enlarged spleen, often just looking like the fish is constipated or you've been feeding it too much. This can apparently happen months in advance, as my latest deceased Dwarf Gourami was looking extremely plump 3-4 months before the infection actually got to him.

Many fish affected by the iridorivus infection will, in their last days, refuse food and lay on their sides, breathing very heavily. It has been my experience that as the fish starts to pass it will become very discolored, often even appearing black where bright reds, blues, or yellows were once - supposedly due to stress happening within the body. Near the very end, as the gills stop functioning, Gourami fish will try to bolt for the surface, to suck in air. Unfortunately, if the infection doesn't get the fish, drowning certainly will.

Source: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/archive/index.php/t-58036.html

The discoloration and laying on his side are definitely a match. I'm no disease expert but it looks quite possible.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

I had a Dwarf Fire Belly Gourami not long ago, he came down with a back case of ick and died during heat treatment. Sorry yours is sick, no one likes seeing their fish like this.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

I had a Dwarf Fire Belly Gourami not long ago, he came down with a back case of ick and died during heat treatment. Sorry yours is sick, no one likes seeing their fish like this.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Yeah. I read the same that there's no cure for this disease and I am really sad :(! I haven't had any fish die for 2 months now. So it's pretty sad. So what should I do? Just flush? Or what? I don't like seeing him like this.

Yeah. I read the same that there's no cure for this disease and I am really sad :(! I haven't had any fish die for 2 months now. So it's pretty sad. So what should I do? Just flush? Or what? I don't like seeing him like this.

I flush my fish. You could go to your yard and give him a proper burial. Put him out of his misery.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

Clove oil is the most recommended method for euthanizing. There are YouTube videos and guides online about doing it, just go buy a little bottle. Careful if you use a red plastic cup or styrofoam cup though, if clove oil sits in there too long it'll melt through the plastic or styrofoam. I had to euthanize a couple of fish and after it was done I left with some clove oil still in the cup, came back to the bottom of the plastic cup melted to the towel it was on. Huge mess and my room smelled like clove for a week and a half.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Don't flush him live. Do a search on here as there have been some humane suggestions on how to euthanize.

To clarify *ALL* fish I have flushed were clearly dead.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

I just noticed this...am a new member. My gourami is in the process of dying,,...possibly the same problem except she has redness and raw areas on her face...started with a swollen lip and a white or grayish spot on her head...continued to get worse even with medication. I have three more and it looks like another one is getting the same thing. I don't know if it's the disease or not. I spoke with the breeder and he was adamant that his don't have that strain, and it is probably from fighting. But I think its either the disease or a really bad fungus infection. I put her in a breeder box to let her go in peace; the others are circling her. So sad. Have only had them a couple of weeks.

I just noticed this...am a new member. My gourami is in the process of dying,,...possibly the same problem except she has redness and raw areas on her face...started with a swollen lip and a white or grayish spot on her head...continued to get worse even with medication. I have three more and it looks like another one is getting the same thing. I don't know if it's the disease or not. I spoke with the breeder and he was adamant that his don't have that strain, and it is probably from fighting. But I think its either the disease or a really bad fungus infection. I put her in a breeder box to let her go in peace; the others are circling her. So sad. Have only had them a couple of weeks.

Look up columnaris and see if it looks similar. Also, invest in clove oil to euthanize if it comes to that, it's better than just making the fish wait it out.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes. If it is, you want gram negative meds. Like Maracyn II or Kanamycin. What is your temp? Move it down a little, like 1 degree a day till it is closer to 75F.

Make sure it is real clove oil and not artificial. (if needed) My pharmacy tried to sell me the fake stuff because it is cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom