dwarf gourami question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RabiedRooster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I have recently purchased a pair(1 male ,1 female) of DG, Colisa lalia, red and blue stripe. In the shop the male wasn't very colorful and since adding to my tank he hasn't got any brighter. Is this due to stress of being in a fish shop and then moved or a physical symptom of something?I've had them for a week now and they are very active and eating well. Thanks

need more info about you tank, how long has it been up and running? what are you water parameters ect? if all is well and you feeding them decent food just give him another week or two.

Hey, the tanks has been up for about 4 months, but all the sediment and filter material was transfered from a previous tank that was running for a year and its cycled fine. The other fish in the tank are fine (5 Tetras, 5 White cloud minnows, 1 DP) as are the plants; its a 12g(uk). I dont have a test kit so i can't tell you but like i said all the other fish in the tank are bright and happy and i just wanted to know if the DG would brighten. Can this dullness be caused by being Juvenile (hes about 2-3 inches)?

Any chance of a pic? The dull male sounds like a female.

How do you know you have a female? I ask that because a lot of people think they've picked out a female using an incorrect sexing method. Female DGs are obviously females due to the fact they are colorless.

Here is a photo of them both (lucky!) They look a bit brighter in this pic as i had the flash on
dsc01017_2.jpg
. 1 male 1 female

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww! That's the first time I have seen a female! You were lucky to get one, they are hard to find in a store, and most people have to order them online.

They do look pretty dull. Do they have places to hide? Also, what is the temp in the tank? When my DG's were stressed, their heads got dark.

This is what your DG should look like:

Yes, the one on the right is a female :) Females are pretty rare. Occasionally one will come in a bag of males, which is how I got mine.

A word of caution - he might end up killing her. Just about all the accounts I've seen end that way.

Really? My LFS had loads of both sex! The water temp is ~26C. There are plants, a cave but the male seems to have claimed the water heater for his territory atm other than that he swims around happy and chases the female if she goes near the heater! Your DG is really nice and thats why i am interested about mine

Back
Top Bottom