Dwarf gourami question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big b

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if dwarf gouramis could get along with another dwarf gourami of the opposite sex? I am planning to buy 3 females and 1 male.

Following along. Never had gouramis on any sort but they have been on my want list.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I believe all "dwarf" gourami (not honey or sparkling) are the same species, just color variations. Much like white and black skirt tetras. the white are the black skirts, just modified.

As to species getting along? That depends on temperament from the male. Some are major jerks, some do well with anything. Congrats if you can find female gourami, they are not commonly sold because they have a much more... Plain.. In Appearance than males making them less visually appealing.

Caleb

As to species getting along? That depends on temperament from the male. Some are major jerks, some do well with anything. Congrats if you can find female gourami, they are not commonly sold because they have a much more... Plain.. In Appearance than males making them less visually appealing.

Caleb

^^I agree with Caleb^^
The females can be difficult to find.
Make sure you know how to sex gouramis before you buy them Brian.
Don't let a stressed male fool you!
Good to see you here more B!

I had 2 male gourami in a 55 and they did well. My 1 male died unexpectedly but I had him for 3 years. The other male is alive and kicking for 3.5 years.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oops..... I made a mistake, they are honey gouramis, not dwarf gouramis. And as for the sexing them, I have asked them, and they said they can't promise anything but they will try their best. I have read a lot of their reviews and it seems like they know a lot about sexing fish. Honey gourami Red qty 2 - Alpha Pro Breeders

Just to be clear, I am asking about HONEY gouramis, NOT DWARF gouramis.

I keep a mf pair of opaline gouramis in a 55 gallon community tank. The male chases the female sometimes but as long as she has places to hide she is fine. I just managed to breed them two weeks ago.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to go along with my plans and get them :).

Thanks everyone for your input. I have decided to go along with my plans and get them :).

They are great fish with a lot of personality. They go all over the tank. But make sure you have a floating plant or very tall, dense plant to hide in. Mine especially likes my watersprite.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep already got that covered. They are going into a planted 29 gallon. They will share it with 20 neon tetras.

Back
Top Bottom