Dwarf Gourami Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holokai

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,

I just bought my first Dwarf Gourami, And he looks fairly healthy, but...

Now that I've turned the lights on and I'm looking closer, he seems to be moving his fins rapidly, but not going anywhere, and he seems to be breathing rapidly. The breathing looks like it may have clamed down some since I first noticed.

Am I over reacting, is this normal gourami behavior? I've never actually had one before...

Thanks,

Chris

Yeah, I would have posted them if I had the test kit I bought with me. I managed to leave it in my sisters car :roll:

I did have the store test them today, and all the paramaters were good. The LFS I go to is very knowledgable, especially the girl I try to work with, so I didn't check them myself.

I'll check them tomorrow and post the results. I just hope it's not too late :(

-Chris

I have 2 dwarf gouramis and they seem to do as you states, moving fins rapidly and looks like they are breathing rapidly, but I think for yours, might be normal. Once you test your parameters, we may be at more ease, as if what you are describing is like mine, then it's normal. Could do a 25%-30% PWC and see if it changes his breating, etc. But most importantly is checking your parameters with a good test kit. :)

how long has the fish been in your tank? if it's only been a few hours, he's probably still stressed--heavy breathing is a sign of stress. also, how long did you acclimate him for? if you did it too fast, he could also be stressed. she how he's doing tomorrow--hopefully he'll be back to normal!

Thanks for the responses, I think he was just stressed like crazycat said... But now I have another problem with him. He's bumping in to the glass so much that he has bloody bumps on his chin!! I'm wondering if he can even open his mouth to eat.
Pics...
IMG_2651.jpg

-
IMG_2653.jpg

-
IMG_2654.jpg

Any Ideas? He even does it when I leave the lights on in the room. I thought maybe he was attacking his reflection, but I don't think he can see his reflection when the room lights are on. grrrr... silly fish.

- Chris

Back
Top Bottom