Dwarf gourami red spot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vinnykh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My dwarf gourami male seems to have developed a large red spot between eye and mouth. He is the most dominant fish so doesn't get any bother as far as I'm aware. I did change stuff around yesterday so maybe got knocked or a parasite maybe? I was thinking of giving him a salty bath. Water levels all ok and he all fine so not sure what's going on ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408474274.639003.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looks like an ulcer to me. This is basically just an open wound on a fish. The open wound will not hurt the fish too much but the possible leading infection might do.

As far as cause goes, do you have anything sharp in your aquarium he could have cut himself on? If not then there might be a fish that hurt your gourami.

I am not an expert as far as knowing wether a salt bath would help but I do know that there are treatments for ulcers.

I depends where you are in the world. If you are in the UK then I will recommend NT labs ulcer treatment. If not then I am sure you can go to your local fish shop and get some ulcer treatment that will do exactly the same job. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I got some melafix for wounds/abrasions. He may have got it from always pecking at the driftwood. After 3 days the spot has reduced and changed to brown so hopefully working.

Back
Top Bottom