Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Dwarf Gourami,still weak after 4weeks

Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 25 temp 26c 60L biorb

One of my 2 dwarf gourami has been sick/weak for over a month, he's not deteriorating but he's not getting better either. He has colour loss and his feelers have perished to half the length.

My other male gourami has definitely played a part and once I realised the bullying was an issue I placed the weak gourami in a floating breading cell..

I was hoping that after a week of rest and food he would improve, he hasn't and the annoying snails have moved in with him gobbling up his food. I haven't seen him poo either since being in there.

Is it the end of the road for him and should he meet his icy water end? Or do I continue with him for a little while longer?

Thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like he is probably just another weak one that came from the stupid fish farms. Granted the fish farms are probably where most of the fish in the aquarium trade come from, they are getting out of hand. Dwarf gouramis are known to be weak when they are purchased by people and just slowly deteriorate or suddenly die. They just aren't very tough due to the overbreeding taking place. If he isn't improving, I don't know exactly what to tell you. Euthenasia is inevitably your decision. Do you have a pic of the little guy?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-991419988.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	62501

Inside his cell..few uneaten bits of pea and snails!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3161233203.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	62502  
Old 11-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #4

Name:	image-1733846758.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	62503

The usual floating position.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillphill83 View Post
My other male gourami has definitely played a part and once I realised the bullying was an issue I placed the weak gourami in a floating breading cell..
I'm sorry your DG is doing badly. It's not so much that the other was a bully, as it's fairly common knowledge that you shouldn't have two male DGs together in one tank.

If his quality of life is that poor, I would euthanize.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #6

Yeh had I known this might happen I certainly wouldn't have got the two, the guy in the shop didn't exactly warn me they would not get along and I didn't do my homework on how they are with each other, just how they are with other species.

It's a poor existence for a fish if you can't swim about with your other tank mates!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's very true..... this is the hardest decision you'll have to make in fishkeeping. We owe it to the fish to be brave enough though.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Lynda, many people can end up in the same position as you due to lack of knowledge. It seems as though the combination of stress from having 2 males in one tank and the fact that he may have been poor quality has taken its toll.

I am very sorry, but if his life is not happy/fulfilling then he should be euthanize.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #9

Thanks for your advice both of you.

Sad times but tonight will be his last.

Tags
dwarf, dwarf gourami, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com