Dwarf Gourami Trobules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JosephCamacho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a cremecicle molly, young turqouise rainbow, marble gourami, marigold swordtail, and a flame dwarf gourami. On Feb I bought the dwarf gourami because of its beutifull color. They told me it was a peacefull species, and it was only for 6 months. In Aug I noticed many aggresion by this gourami in all my tank mates, He already killed 2 guppies.
PLEASE HELP!!!!

In order to fully help you, we need a bit more information like what size tank, and all of the inhabitants.
Dwarf gouramis can be feisty, and some can be a bit aggressive. Though, they often do fine in communities. Give us a little more info, and we will do our best to help.

Thanks, ok so I have a 10 gallon aquarium. I also have a mystery snail that I bought in Fintique. Maybe another think you might need to know is that I use white light for my aquarium maybe for only an hour.

In my experience, dwarf gouramis are highly variable in their temperament. It is not uncommon for them to become aggressive or stay peaceful. You could taking him out changing some of the decorations around and putting him back in but I have not seen tremendous success with doing that with DGs.

You may have to separate him from the other fish.

Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but several of your fish are not suitable for a 10g tank to begin with. The other gourami, the rainbow and perhaps the molly need a bigger tank.

I agree the tank is to small. I have two red flame dwarf gouramis and they tend to be somewhat aggressive, but I have them in a 50 gal community tank with two angles and quite a few smaller fish. At times they will show some aggression but quickly give up the chase and settle down. Have not experienced any injuries.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

About the size of the tank, the rainbowfish is young, only one inch large. The rest are 2 instead of the dwarf gourami which is 2 1/2. Thanks for the advice about the separaiting, rearrenging and putting him back but I already tried that and it didn't work. So, should I seprate the DG like a betta fish?

Not to beat a dead horse here, but it is a moot point if they are young unless you have a better place to put them very soon. None of those fish belong in a 10g tank except for the dg and the guppies. If you asking about separating him in a small space, then I would say no. A 10g is pushing the minimum of what works for these guys. As has been said, their temperament is variable, so it could be this is just how your is.
A couple options you have: take out all the fish that are not suitable for that tank and see if the aggression dies down. Or, more tanks. Or, returning some fish. Do you have some other tanks that you were going to put the bigger fish in once they got big? They are lovely fish, and keeping him your 10g with a few suitable tankmates and some plant cover would make a lovely tank. :)

Thanks, I do have another tank but I am not sure how much gallons is it

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom