Dwarf Gourami vs. Other Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cee219

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been reading some compatibility on fish, and some fish like Tiger Barbs and a Red Tailed Shark they all have the recommendations "All Gouramis" for tank mates.

Since most Gouramis get pretty big and they would be able to handle themselves with an ornary fish like a Tiger Barb, does a Dwarf Gourami count in "All Gouramis" at it's rather small size?

(I plan on having at least eight Tiger Barbs in my 55g)

Well, I personally wouldn't do it but if the tiger barbs just bicker among themselves then it should be ok. Eight barbs sounds like a large enough group for them to leave the other fish alone but I don't really have any experience with them, I just know they can be quite nippy.
The biggest mature gold gourami I've seen was like 3.5-4", pearl's are a little smaller than those and banded gouramis smaller than them. Mature gold/blue/opaline gouramis would be better candidates with tiger barbs IMO.

I would be hesitant to consider a dwarf gourami in such a situation....if the barbs decide to peter him, he will not have any real defence, and will not last long. You might want to consider a snakeskin gourami....quite attractive and very capable of taking care of itself.

Well, some snakeskins are actually quite skittish, mine being one of them. She hides often and it's not that my other fish bother her. :?

Thanks for your helpful replies!

I think I might just take gouramis out of the equation, perhaps if I get another tank in the future I'll do something more tailored to them. I just don't want to take any risks and have anything happen to one.

I think I have my stock list completed actually and I may make another post just to check and see if anyone sees an issue.

Back
Top Bottom