Dwarf Gourami with an attitude?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spm2600

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve got a 36 gallon tank stocked with the following…

2 Angelfish
3 Dwarf Gourami
4 Cory Catfish

The big Dwarf Gourami seems to be chasing just the other DGs around- not particularly guarding any territory, just seems like he’s hyper. I feel bad because the big one seems to be a jerk, middle sized one can kind of hold his ground, and the little guy came missing ¾ of a feeler (which I’m hoping grows back). The little guy seems to get chased around more often. They seems to relax a little bit after feeding but it takes a few hours.

Is this normal behaviour? It doesn’t look like anyone’s fins are getting nipped, just some chasing.

Attachments

• IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 119
Yes, that's normal behavior. Gourami are very territorial and should really only be kept 1 per tank. I would rehome 2 of them as they will likely get sick from the stress.

I currently have two dwarves of similar size in a 20h and they both tussle here and there, but never to the point of injury and only for very brief moments. They have plenty of spaces to retreat to, and no particular one is dominating the other. I'm keeping a close on them to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. If it does, I will rehome one of them.

In your case, highly recommend find homes for the other two.

If I do remove 2 of them, which one should I keep? Also, any suggestions on what I could replace them with? I'd like to keep this tank well stocked.

If I do remove 2 of them, which one should I keep? Also, any suggestions on what I could replace them with? I'd like to keep this tank well stocked.

Keep whichever one you like most.

As for stocking:

Harlequin Rasbora
Cardinal Tetras
Rummynose Tetras
Mollies
Platies
German Blue Ram (one m and f pair)

If you like the corys (I love mine), I would would consider adding a few more. IMHO four is prob the absolute minimum number for them to be comfortable, but of course the more the merrier! Corys are great in larger groups!

I think my son would love the mickey mouse platies, are they schooling? Ie should I get 5 or 6 to replace the two DGs?

I think my son would love the mickey mouse platies, are they schooling? Ie should I get 5 or 6 to replace the two DGs?

They are kind of schooling fish. Keep them at a 1m to 2f ratio so I would go with 6 personally. Just beware, they are rapid breeders. I always traded in my live bearers for other fish though so it can work out nicely.

Very good info, I just looked up how to differentiate male/female so I can make sure to keep that ratio. The trick will be catching the two DGs with my small net... I have a feeling I'll be splashing water all over! Thanks for advice.

Very good info, I just looked up how to differentiate male/female so I can make sure to keep that ratio. The trick will be catching the two DGs with my small net... I have a feeling I'll be splashing water all over! Thanks for advice.

haha yeah, I've given up and just put down towels around my tanks and one over my shoulder when I do tank stuff :D

You're welcome

BTW, I'm also looking at adding some smaller fish to my set up, and I'm leaning towards zebra danios. I also started researching celestial danios and the blue eye furcata. They are gorgeous! Just have to keep digging to make sure everything will be compatable.

furcata:
pseudomugil-furcatus-hh-w.jpg

celestial danio:
danio_CelestialPearl1.jpg

Perhaps this is not a humane question, but would the Angelfish take care of the platy fry? Kind of like a population control thing if you know what I'm sayin...

Stooker - I really like the celestial danio, very colorful. I too was thinking of a bunch of zebra danios but they lacked color and temp range was much lower than what I've got stocked in tank.

Perhaps this is not a humane question, but would the Angelfish take care of the platy fry? Kind of like a population control thing if you know what I'm sayin...

Stooker - I really like the celestial danio, very colorful. I too was thinking of a bunch of zebra danios but they lacked color and temp range was much lower than what I've got stocked in tank.

Oh OK. I only recently learned about the celestial and the more I research the more I'm interested. Trying to find an LFS or somewhere that has them so I can see in person, but they are quite rare I guess... at least where I am.

Well... PetSmart "dude" did the opposite and gave me 4 males and 2 females. Advice? Will they be ok?

On a second glance it looks like 1:1 ratio. Either way, I'm concerned this will be a problem.

Could be... I would prefer to have 2-3 females to every male, as the males can pester the females so much that they are constantly hiding to get away from him, and sometimes the stress can even kill them. Can you take two of the males back and trade for females? I'd probably want to have 2 males and 4 females.

Back
Top Bottom