Dwarf Gourami with Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexwm125

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a planted10 gal with a pair of dwarf gouramis, and 4 glass catfish. All are doing very well, but I am in need of a cleanup crew of sorts. There are some pest snails already in the tank but they don't do the job. There are many mosses and leaves for the new inhabitant to hide in.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Gouramis are pretty efficient little predators, so I would be careful about putting them with shrimp because they are likely to get muched on or at least lose some legs. Nerite snails do a good job and won't breed in freshwater. I've had good experiences with Otocinclus also, especially for munching algae off of plant leaves

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

my gourami doesnt bother my shrimp.
I had a molly that would notoriously chase the cherries when I had them. Anything bigger than that tho is left alone. I have 2 amono that safely graze my driftwood in plain site all day untouched. A couple ghost on the bottom that are fine.

I will try ghost shimp, I hope they can do the job!

I will try ghost shimp, I hope they can do the job!

What are you trying to get cleaned? Ghost will pick at gravel but won't really touch most algeas. Amano shrimp the other way around.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are you trying to get cleaned? Ghost will pick at gravel but won't really touch most algeas. Amano shrimp the other way around.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's algae that hasn't gotten out of control but doesn't look good at all. I think it's BB algae but I honestly have no clue.

So Amano shrimp would work better? I've heard the larger shrimps do better with gouramis but idk. People say cherry shrimp are a definite no.

So Amano shrimp would work better? I've heard the larger shrimps do better with gouramis but idk. People say cherry shrimp are a definite no.

Amano are just cool shrimp and will eat up algea. Not sure what that is but it looks kind of neat like a moss

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The glass catfish are pretty picky eaters and won't clean up too much. Cory catfish will surely do that for you. Any problems with having the two gouramis in there together? When I tried that they were pretty aggressive with one another.

Not much eats Black Beard Algae.

Shrimp ?

I'd say read up on your kinds of Algae. I believe some squirt Excel straight on it ?

The glass catfish are pretty picky eaters and won't clean up too much. Cory catfish will surely do that for you. Any problems with having the two gouramis in there together? When I tried that they were pretty aggressive with one another.

The male was only aggressive for a day or two but after that he stopped. He has his little territory that he incessantly moves stuff around it. He carries bits of moss and stuff in his mouth all the time, and sticks it in the top corner. They always are ver close to each other and do a little "twirl" every once in a while. (Spawning behavior)

Not much eats Black Beard Algae.

Shrimp ?

I'd say read up on your kinds of Algae. I believe some squirt Excel straight on it ?

I've tried researching algae types but mine seemingly sits into none of them. It's like hair algae growing like bush algae. I'm super confused.

Gouramis are pretty efficient little predators, so I would be careful about putting them with shrimp because they are likely to get muched on or at least lose some legs. Nerite snails do a good job and won't breed in freshwater. I've had good experiences with Otocinclus also, especially for munching algae off of plant leaves

I agree

Back
Top Bottom