Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank of the Month Award

Your posting made me realize that I haven't see my new Dwarf Gourami for a couple of days. He's no where to be found. Darn it. I hate that when it happens....

Old 10-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamroper View Post
Your posting made me realize that I haven't see my new Dwarf Gourami for a couple of days. He's no where to be found. Darn it. I hate that when it happens....
Aww, well I hope you find him

Old 10-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sometimes my paradise gourami disappears. Which is crazy because he's my biggest fish in the 29 gallon. He's also always the first one to greet me so I always panic when he does that. Just keep an open spirit, hope he pops up!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny leftist View Post
Guppies prefer to be in groups of five or more...might wanna flesh out their school in that tank and get a second if you want DGs (or move everyone into one huge tank)
Guppies do not need to be kept in groups. Guppies can also be very aggressive which most people don't realize until it happens to them.

Cories on the other hand do prefer to be in larger shoals as they are very social fish. The OP doesn't have room in her tank for more cory's of that size tho.

Op you can try getting a Dwarf gourami or a Honey Gourami (they tend to be less aggressive than dwarfs, but again each gourami has an individual temperament) and call your tank stocked. Do watch for any aggression from the gourami and the guppies.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
Guppies do not need to be kept in groups. Guppies can also be very aggressive which most people don't realize until it happens to them. Cories on the other hand do prefer to be in larger shoals as they are very social fish. The OP doesn't have room in her tank for more cory's of that size tho. Op you can try getting a Dwarf gourami or a Honey Gourami (they tend to be less aggressive than dwarfs, but again each gourami has an individual temperament) and call your tank stocked. Do watch for any aggression from the gourami and the guppies.
I never knew until just recently, on this forum in fact, that guppies don't need schools. You shouldn't see any aggression between the gourami and guppy but like stated each ones different so just keep an eye on it. And it's true that guppies can be aggressive, I never believed anyone until I saw one (in my LFS) back large Beunos areas(?) tetras into the other side of the tank!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, thanks, I was a little worried about how a gourami and the guppies would act. I'll probably watch the gourami tank at the pet store for a little bit just so that I can be sure to get one that's no aggressive. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidGurl View Post
Ok, thanks, I was a little worried about how a gourami and the guppies would act. I'll probably watch the gourami tank at the pet store for a little bit just so that I can be sure to get one that's no aggressive. Thanks!
There are usually several male DG in store tanks and they will be chasing at each other which is quite normal. If one is hiding or trying to stay away and being timid I wouldn't get that one either as it can indicate a stressed or sick fish. Just get one you like and keep your eye on all parties.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Are chocolate gouramis aggressive ? They don't get bigger than 2.5"

I just saw some at a new pet store I walked into the other day... They're gorgeous
Old 10-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are females aggressive ?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman88888 View Post
Are chocolate gouramis aggressive ? They don't get bigger than 2.5"

I just saw some at a new pet store I walked into the other day... They're gorgeous
They are actually shy and very delicate with special feeding needs. They usually do best in a species only tank where you can keep a group that is sized properly to the tank.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com