Dwarf gouramis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MermaidGurl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was planning on getting a powdered blue gourami (or any kind of small gourami) an I was wondering if there were any major things I should know about them, since I've never owned one before? Any info would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Lots of live plants is the biggest thing specific. To DGs. Also, don't give them any overly aggressive tankmates since they're naturally very shy fish. If you have males, provide plants with thin leaves they can easily nip pieces to nest (they bubblenest like bettas, but they use plant matter in their nests) also, don't put the tank in a loud part of your house since they are easily frightened by noises.

Dwarf or Regular Gourami's are generally not shy at all. In fact many males can become very aggressive after settling in and or maturing. This is the reason I asked for tank size and stock already in the tank.

Huh...I must have just always had fraidy-cat gouramis then...

Another concern for DGs is, if at all possible, try to buy from local or at least domestic breeders since iridovirus is particularly vicious on DGs and a lot of fish coming from SE Asian breeders seem carry it.

Well I have a 10 gallon with 2 male guppies and 2 peppered Cory cats

Guppies prefer to be in groups of five or more...might wanna flesh out their school in that tank and get a second if you want DGs (or move everyone into one huge tank)

Well I had more with these two guppies and they weren't getting along and now that there are only the two of them, they are getting along much better.

What was your male-female ratio? If you have many many males and one or two females the males will beat each other up for 'breeding rights'

Your posting made me realize that I haven't see my new Dwarf Gourami for a couple of days. He's no where to be found. Darn it. I hate that when it happens....

Sometimes my paradise gourami disappears. Which is crazy because he's my biggest fish in the 29 gallon. He's also always the first one to greet me so I always panic when he does that. Just keep an open spirit, hope he pops up!

Guppies prefer to be in groups of five or more...might wanna flesh out their school in that tank and get a second if you want DGs (or move everyone into one huge tank)

Guppies do not need to be kept in groups. Guppies can also be very aggressive which most people don't realize until it happens to them.

Cories on the other hand do prefer to be in larger shoals as they are very social fish. The OP doesn't have room in her tank for more cory's of that size tho.

Op you can try getting a Dwarf gourami or a Honey Gourami (they tend to be less aggressive than dwarfs, but again each gourami has an individual temperament) and call your tank stocked. Do watch for any aggression from the gourami and the guppies.

Guppies do not need to be kept in groups. Guppies can also be very aggressive which most people don't realize until it happens to them. Cories on the other hand do prefer to be in larger shoals as they are very social fish. The OP doesn't have room in her tank for more cory's of that size tho. Op you can try getting a Dwarf gourami or a Honey Gourami (they tend to be less aggressive than dwarfs, but again each gourami has an individual temperament) and call your tank stocked. Do watch for any aggression from the gourami and the guppies.
I never knew until just recently, on this forum in fact, that guppies don't need schools. You shouldn't see any aggression between the gourami and guppy but like stated each ones different so just keep an eye on it. And it's true that guppies can be aggressive, I never believed anyone until I saw one (in my LFS) back large Beunos areas(?) tetras into the other side of the tank!

Ok, thanks, I was a little worried about how a gourami and the guppies would act. I'll probably watch the gourami tank at the pet store for a little bit just so that I can be sure to get one that's no aggressive. Thanks!

Ok, thanks, I was a little worried about how a gourami and the guppies would act. I'll probably watch the gourami tank at the pet store for a little bit just so that I can be sure to get one that's no aggressive. Thanks!

There are usually several male DG in store tanks and they will be chasing at each other which is quite normal. If one is hiding or trying to stay away and being timid I wouldn't get that one either as it can indicate a stressed or sick fish. Just get one you like and keep your eye on all parties.

Are chocolate gouramis aggressive ? They don't get bigger than 2.5"

I just saw some at a new pet store I walked into the other day... They're gorgeous

Are chocolate gouramis aggressive ? They don't get bigger than 2.5"

I just saw some at a new pet store I walked into the other day... They're gorgeous

They are actually shy and very delicate with special feeding needs. They usually do best in a species only tank where you can keep a group that is sized properly to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom