Dwarf Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Louise Lee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi...I have started a dwarf gourami tank and have three females and one male, along with 5 black skirted tetras, 1 swordtail and 2 guppies in a 13 gallon tank; also a tiny sucker fish, but don't know the name of it. Possibly will move the tetras into a different tank if this is too many fish, Question is: I got the 4 DGs from breeder, followed his instructions to the T, but one of them has a swollen lip and a small whitish spot on his head....looks like he's lost a scale. It looks like the male might also have a couple loose scales, and a possible grayish spot as well. I've been treating them with a Quick Cure medication, but it's been going on for more than a week and I see no improvement. I read a horrible article about DGs that stated they are all diseased, and will not live no matter what you do. Some kind of virus that has been carried down the line, totally incurable. This was a blog I came upon, and the man who was answering questions was quite positive about this. Question after question asking about the type of condition I am describing was answered with ....DO NOT BUY THEM. They have this disease/virus....(I can't remember the name of it, but it starts with and I). So, I'm wondering if anyone who is into DGs has heard about this, and if I am just spinning my wheels trying to keep these poor little guys alive. Two of them seem fine; the other three a little questionable. Feedback, please!!!!!:( P.S. I did have a male DG (My favorite fish) who died after month, but showed no signs like these. He did survive the "New Tank" problems (high Nitrates) that took a while to get under control; but I guess the results finally hit him.

People around here just call it dwarf gourami disease. The fish will look fine for a few months, then suddenly just stop eating and die. That's probably what happened to your first one. As for the ones currently, it sounds like they may have tumours or something.

The mini sucker fish is probably an otocinclus. They like to be in groups of at least 6, so I recommend getting some more.

It's not really a disease. It's hard to explain, but basically all captive bred dwarf gouramis have it within them. Any DG I've had has succumbed to it.

My two are great and very healthy m/f pair. It's hit and miss. But basically try and get the healthiest specimen you can and keep the water clean or it can just show up. I had a scare but he was just a little backed up.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426127490.599426.jpg

If it truly is DG disease it's incurable once present unfortunately. :( it may be some sort of infection though as well.

I love my fish!!!

Dwarf gouramis

So sad. They are so friendly and mellow. My male was always the first one to greet me. Hope the mew ones make it but they seem to b having Robles already. Hopefully the quick cure will kick in soon

Yeah, sorry to tell you but that tank is overstocked badly. I would put a gourami in less than 20 gallons. Same with the tetras.

Side note... I read your tanks on your bio and they have a few more fish than you told us there is. Did they die? For example you told us you have one sword but your bio says two.

Geez I didn't see it was a 13g. I have my two in a 29g high.

You could have 1 gourami if you didn't have the tetras and even that would be pushing bio load.

I love my fish!!!

Dwarf gouramis

Really? For dwarf sized gouramis? I can see that for full sized gouramis but these will b less than 3 inches . Seems like 4 dwarfs would work in a 13 gallon extra wide tank. The swordtail & guppies are temporarily in the tank medicating fish in 36 gal tank. Had intended to have just the 4 dwarfs in the 13 gal. ...... But u say they need twice that space....need to rethink plans ....u asked about swordtail. Yes one died. He had been bullied by the other swordtail. Moved him to smaller tank but he never recovered. Also lost a Platy from the same bullying swordtail. He is in with dwarfs now and is not being at all aggressive

What are the genders of them?

These tank sizes are what you SHOULD put them in to be happy, not necessarily what they can survive in. They can also be a little agro although mine are sweethearts.

I love my fish!!!

I have three females and one male. Also in the tank I planned to keep the 5 black skirted tetras; I read an article that said you can keep more tetras per gallon because they are schooling fish. What do you think?

I disagree. They may "fit" but they will be unhappy and unhealthy. No room to swim around/ be alone. The females will want to get away at times. In all honestly you will have deaths due to depression and just too much bio load. I would suggest maybe just two females alone in there. But I only say this because I know how my gouramis act about different conditions. Happy fish happy parent right..

Yeah definitely. Bio load had nothing to do with species either really its size, and metabolism.

I love my fish!!!

Well...the only other option is to put them into the 36gal tank, but there are already 4 german rams and 2 elec. blue rams in there. Also a female swordtail and two snails and an oto. Probably no room for the DGs and I heard they were not compatible with the rams....not sure if that's true or not. can't put them. I knew I should have gotten a larger tank! Sure don't want to get another one. Guess I'll have to do some rearranging and take some of them back to the PS.

That's probably the best option. Not trying to discourage! It's just a lot more satisfying to the keeper as well as more fair to the fish if they are healthy and happy.

I love my fish!!!

Absolutely. I plan to take back 2 Oscars and 2 plecos...I hate to do it, but one of the Oscars is pestering my Parrots to death. The Parrots are a "couple" and get along fine (at least for now. The plecos were given to me as a gift; I had no idea how big they can get; they are small now. I have two Angels, 1regular size and 1 small, temporarily in the 36 gal, waiting for a spot in the 60 gal. So, will move them there, and possibly, put the gouaramis in the 60 gal when they get a little bigger. I've read that they get along fine with the angel fish. I do have two filters in each aquarium, and plan on getting a larger one for the second one in the 60 gallon tank. They are all bio wheels. The water is always good; initially had a problem with nitrates I must tell my friends to STOP buying fish for me!

Back
Top Bottom