dwarf gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jramatized

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got me 2 dwarf gouramis and some other type of gourami. Its a blue something and it really looks white with stripes on it.

The dwarfs are red/with blue outline and one is powder blue with red outline. They are both males (SUPPOSIBLY). I dont know what the other one is, but I heard that males have points on their dorsal and females are rounded, so the other gourami I mentioned may be female

I was wondering how to find a female dwarf of the same colors? Petsmart has them all labeled as males. And the other ones(NOT DWARFS) are assorted

Is there any chance the dwarfs would breed with the other gourami I have.
it looks like this, but its called blue
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=964

Also it stays on the other side of the tank than the 2 dwarfs?

Thanks in advance

Maybe if yall could show me a picture of a male and a female would be good too. Ill look and see if I can find any though

they will most likely not interbreed outside their own species.

the one you mentioned sounds like a pearl or blue gourami. he will get pretty large...4 inches+ eventually. chances are he is male also. most pet stores will not sell any femaile gouramis because they are not as "pretty".

my females are distinctly drabber than the males. they are almost silver. they are much "fatter" toward their base, very noticibly fatter, like a body builder fish.

I ordered mine from a fish only fish store. I'll try to get some pictures of them later.

They wouldn't breed together, I used to have dwarfs in with my blue gourami and they'd rather chase each other around and beat each other up than think about breeding. They're bubblenest breeders so that just ups the chances they wouldn't have babies cuz it's just more complicated when you have that sort of thing than if you have livebearers that just constantly want to breed and if they ever did breed I don't know if that would be ethical to a lot of people ._.

How do the 2 male dwarf gouramis get on? I read that two males will fight eachother. I'm looking to get a couple, hoping to get a male and a female but I've never seen the female ones because like FishyPeanut said they aren't as colourful therefore aren't in high demand.

Jramatized said:
None of mine are fighting. They actually stay together

Keep an eye out on them, mine didnt fight until they were in the tank for at least 14 days, then they fought until there was only one left. Then again it was a tank bully so it could be that i had a "special" circumstance. I would still keep an open eye out :)

-Pleco

i'll be honest with ya...

if you look at my sig, you will see that i have 3 paradise fish in the same tank. they get alone fine, everyone has their fins, no one fights (ok, they do on rare occasion, but no more so than any other fish i have).

the 2 pairs of dwarfs lived in the same tank together for 3 months, happily. no one faught at all.

*shrug* maybe it is just luck of the draw

Might look into getting 2 males if I can't find a female then. Hopefully I will get lucky and get ones that don't fight! I've read so many articles telling me different things, some say they are territorial in a small tank, others that they like the company of there own species. Guess I'll just have to see what happens for myself.

gourami

Unless you can track down a breeder who will sell you a dwarf female, you will likely never see one. They are rather drab in color and I have been told that very few dwarf fry are females. Say, 5%?? Is that right anyone??

As to 2 males getting along, as everyone says, maybe maybe not. But it seems to depend on tank size and individual fish. I tried 2 dwarf males in a 30 gal and it did not owrk. Removed one and the remaining guy later had to be pulled when he started killing neons.

But they are cute!! Good luck with them.

Maybe it's different in the UK but i had no problems getting females from my usual lfs, and i think it's a shame that they have a reputation for being drab or dull looking as they're really quite pretty, even if they aren't as striking as the males.
...at least I think these two are females!

Attachments

• sheilas_203.jpg
    sheilas_203.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 193
  • sheilas_203.jpg
    sheilas_203.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 191
Back
Top Bottom