Dwarf Gouramis and Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jellis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon freshwater tropical tank. I know that I really want a Neon Dwarf Gourami. I was also looking at some fancy guppies and neon tetras. However, I have heard a lot of different opinions on keeping Gouramis and guppies together. I have heard some people say that you should never keep them together, and I have heard some people say that they are perfect companions to each other. Also, if guppies can't be put with a Dwarf Gourami, what would you suggest I add instead? I am a beginner so I would like a pretty hardy fish that isn't too expensive.
Thanks!:fish2:

I have a 20 gallon freshwater tropical tank. I know that I really want a Neon Dwarf Gourami. I was also looking at some fancy guppies and neon tetras. However, I have heard a lot of different opinions on keeping Gouramis and guppies together. I have heard some people say that you should never keep them together, and I have heard some people say that they are perfect companions to each other. Also, if guppies can't be put with a Dwarf Gourami, what would you suggest I add instead? I am a beginner so I would like a pretty hardy fish that isn't too expensive. Thanks!:fish2:
I love cherry barbs. Beautiful red colour, especially on the male. Not sure about gourami and guppys together. I have the dwarf gourami but not the guppies. If your after a small gourami, look into the honey gouramis as well. Very pretty fish

I have 3 dwarf honey gouramis (i know, not dwarf neons) and haven't had any problem. They hang out together and mind their own business. Have a few guppies in there along with the rest of the stock and have not once seen any aggression/nipping

When I kept guppies many years ago I never had issues with DG and them. Just like now I keep a male Betta with Endlers. It really boils down to the individual temperament of the DG and the Guppies. Honestly I've seen some Guppy males that were so aggressive they went after any and every time of fish big or small that was in the tank with them. So basically there's a 50/50 chance it will work. You can try but keep your eye on things and be prepared to intervene if needed.

Back
Top Bottom