Dwarf gouramis fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie2833

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two dwarf gouramis which I think are a male and female. They've been together in the tank for nearly a month now (the female was first) and were going really well, both swimming around the tank and not bothering each other at all. Recently though the male has started chasing the female about. He's leaving all of the other fish alone, but she's so much smaller than him that I'm worried she's going to get hurt. I have a lot of plants along the back of the tank, and I heard that splitting the tank will help establish territories. Should I move some plants into the middle? The problem is that they're not quite as tall as the tank and the gouramis spend most of their time above the plants.

I am wondering if my "female" is actually male, but she looks very different- about half the size of the male and she's pale blue without any red at all. The shop sells the dwarf gouramis in pairs, and all the stuff I've read about fighting gouramis has been ones of the same sex, so I thought they'd be fine together. The chasing isn't constant and the female does have places to hide but is this going to get worse or will it settle down? And is there anything I can do apart from taking a fish back to stop it. I really like the fish, and before this started they were lovely.

Its actually quite rare to find female gouramis. They are very plain and boring looking so aren't sold very often. If the smallerbone is blue then it's likely a powder blue gourami. Could you post a picture?

Here's a couple of pictures of her (I know they're not the best quality)

Attachments

• F2.jpg
    F2.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 142
  • F3.jpg
    F3.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 168
Although they are sold in pairs the males can be bullies...I'd just pick one and return the other in order to have Peace in the tank...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can someone just confirm for me that it is a female? (pictures above)
Also the fighting has calmed down quite a bit now. He only goes after her when she comes right up to him, and he doesn't actually chase her once she's moved away. They're both eating well and seem to be ok. Is it possible that they've sorted out territories and dominance or is this going to continue to be a problem?

It could be a female. Can you post pics if both so I can compare dorsal fins? If you do indeed have a m/f you're gonna have problems. He will chase her and stress her until she dies. Its recommended to have at least 2f to 1m ratio minimum. 3 females are better. As mentioned before females will most likely be hard to find.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421806578.970205.jpg Is this a male?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes that is a male. Male gouramis generally show Much more color than females. My two dwarf gouramis are disease free and very peaceful. 2 years in :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421811905.721971.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421811844.196033.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421811844.196033.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 84
Photo 1, 2, 4 and 5 are females. I just don't know about photo 3

The dorsal fin in a male is longer and pointed. Ablnd the male is brighter were as the female dorsal fin is rounded

Your Blue, may be a submissive male or an immature male. I think it shows too much color to be a female.

I agree, it doesn't look like a male at all. My male has totally different dorsal structure than the female.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421960031.720167.jpg
She spikes hers up a lot, his are more "flowy"

Back
Top Bottom