Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Dwarf Gourami's in a 29 gallon?

About how many Dwarf Gourami's can fit in a 29 gallon without over stocking?

Old 01-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

IMO one. Others may have differing options though.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Quote:
Originally Posted by snajera7
About how many Dwarf Gourami's can fit in a 29 gallon without over stocking?
I agree. Only one. The males might fight, and females are hard to find. So save yourself some trouble and get one.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Do you want just males? If so, you could try 2, but it may or may not work. Dg can be rather territorial, but it depends on the individuals. Getting one is safer, but 2 could maybe work. If you have a back-up plan, I would try 2 and see what happens.
If you want both genders, then you could try a trio. Again, it may or may not work. They may cause trouble for other tankmates, or they may get along swimmingly (lol).
Its hard to say with these fish.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
IMO one. Others may have differing options though.
Yeah I was thinking it might be on the low end. My cousin just bought a 29 gallon and he loves the two DG's I have in my 30 gallon. So he wants to have just a tank with nothing but DG's. I know they can get kind of aggressive with others but do u think it would help if there were more to widen out the aggression or is it better to not to even try?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
Do you want just males? If so, you could try 2, but it may or may not work. Dg can be rather territorial, but it depends on the individuals. Getting one is safer, but 2 could maybe work. If you have a back-up plan, I would try 2 and see what happens.
If you want both genders, then you could try a trio. Again, it may or may not work. They may cause trouble for other tankmates, or they may get along swimmingly (lol).
Its hard to say with these fish.
It's not for me, I was asking for my cousin. He loves the DG's I have in my tank. I have 2 males in a 30 gal and they do great together. But he wants just DG's and nothing else. But I think it would be a waste of money because he bought a 29 gal an he can only put 1 or 2 Gourami's in there. Is there any compromise do you think would work out?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gouramis are a lot like Bettas, because they all have very different personalities. You could try doing 2 DG's, but some are more aggressive than others. My DG beat up on my Pearl Gourami (twice the DG's size!) when I added him to my 55g. Therefore if you must try, have a backup plan. Make sure the LFS will take him back or if you have another tank you may could put him in it if things don't work out.

Why buy what you can DIY?
adadkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snajera7 View Post
It's not for me, I was asking for my cousin. He loves the DG's I have in my tank. I have 2 males in a 30 gal and they do great together. But he wants just DG's and nothing else. But I think it would be a waste of money because he bought a 29 gal an he can only put 1 or 2 Gourami's in there. Is there any compromise do you think would work out?
I see. Well, are there any other fish he likes besides dg? What about flame tetras? They are bright colored and spade shaped. Its not the same, but they are really pretty. Serpae tetras are shape shaped and pretty too. They are nippy, so you have to be careful about tankmates (I don't recommend putting them with gouramis of any kind), but they are pretty.
Yeah, having a tank of just 1-2 dg would seem rather empty. But I really don't suggest trying more than that or problems will become inevitable.
I suggest seeing if there are other cool, bright fish that your friend might like to go in there with a dg like glowlight tetras, cardinals, black neons, or something like that. I think a school of flame tetras (also called von Rio tetras) might be about the closest in appearance to a tank of dg.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04

I see. Well, are there any other fish he likes besides dg? What about flame tetras? They are bright colored and spade shaped. Its not the same, but they are really pretty. Serpae tetras are shape shaped and pretty too. They are nippy, so you have to be careful about tankmates (I don't recommend putting them with gouramis of any kind), but they are pretty.
Yeah, having a tank of just 1-2 dg would seem rather empty. But I really don't suggest trying more than that or problems will become inevitable.
I suggest seeing if there are other cool, bright fish that your friend might like to go in there with a dg like glowlight tetras, cardinals, black neons, or something like that. I think a school of flame tetras (also called von Rio tetras) might be about the closest in appearance to a tank of dg.
Hmm, ok well I'll let him know, thank you for your advice!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i know this must be very unusual but i have a 45 gal. 56" long tank and i have 7 male dwarf gourami's in the tank and there is no fighting at all. ever. they were all bought at the same time except for 1 and they grew up together. they are about 1 year old now so they are mature and still no fighting. i have an all male tank so maybe because there aren't any females to fight over they all get along. i'm not sure. just my experience.

Tags
29 gallon, dwarf, dwarf gourami, gourami

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com