Dwarf Gouramis with Honey Gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DSenn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have three male Dwarf Gouramis in my 75 gallon with a multitude of hiding places. My experience with these fish is that they are highly aggressive with each other, but pay absolutely no attention to other species of fish. In my case, the gouramis are mixed in with Glowlight and Black Neon Tetras, and the Gouramis leave them alone. The hiding spaces also tend to dissipate the aggression.

Anywho, this leads me to believe that most fish would be fine with the Dwarf Gouramis, but I am uncertain about mixing the Dwarf Gouramis with Honey Gouramis. Common sense tells me this could be a bad combo, but I was thinking of getting more of the Honey Gouramis to give them the advantage of numbers and hopefully offsetting the potential aggression from the Dwarf Gouramis. I was also thinking I could manage this considering I have a 75 gallon.

Has anyone mixed the two?

Thanks

well, dwarfs are usually more "Friendly" than non dwarfs, but gouramis can be very territorial amongst each other (kinda like bettas) 3 males in a 75 is a good number, i suppose you caould always try it, but have a backup plan to move them if the emergency arrises

Gouramis do well with pretty much all fish this is why you find them in lots of community tanks. They do fight amongest each other. but i would think that 5 or so gouramis would be fine in a 75 gallon tank. As long as you have alot of hidding places. I agree with haykay though. Make sure you have a back up plan in case anything goes wrong. something like another small tank or give some to a friend or back to the pet store or something. And yes dwarf gouramis are usuall more friendly than there relitives. and if that doest work some peace fish would look good and they look alot like a gourami (not sure if you could mixe peace fish and gouramis i'd double check on that) or some killfish . kill fish are nice small and good community fish but be careful and research different kinds before you get any because alot of types of kill fish are fin nippers. good luck

My main concern is not the three dwarf gouramis fighting amongst themselves. They balance each other out. I am concerned with the dwarf gouramis picking on the honey gouramis because they are about half the size, which is why I thought if I got around 5-6 honey gouramis if would give the dwarf gouramis enough targets (besides each other) to offset the aggression towards the honey gouramis.

Back
Top Bottom