Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka
They really need at least a 4' tank, 75 gallons or larger. A 10 gallon tank is better suited to micro rasboras and/or shrimp than active, schooling fish that grow as large as praecox rainbows. They are also good for QT tanks though, easier to treat a small volume of water.
Did you add some salt to the water to kill the Ich?
What else is in the 10 now?
Have you checked craiglist for used tanks/setups?
Yea I'm just waiting on a cpl of ppl now.
I have not used salt, I raised the temp. Should I add salt? How much? I have 4 neon tetras. I think the new praecox may very well be a female. Yellow fins. I think I am going to get another female for time being. Suggestions?

Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it's 1 Tbsp/5 gallons to kill Ich. Raising the temp speeds up the life cycle of the parasite, it can't be killed while attached to the fish w/out killing the fish too. Once the cyst breaks open the salt will kill the buggers before they find a new host.
Praecox rainbows are recommended as 3m/2f minimum group size. I kept that ratio in a 55, and they still beat the crap out of each other. I'd go ahead and get you group and treat them all for Ich at the same time, then move them into the larger tank when it's ready. Keep the salt level constant for 10 days to make sure all the parasites are dead.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
The Ich life cycle is temperature dependent. Higher temperatures within its livable range speed up every stage of the life cycle, while the lower temperatures will slow it down. At 18C/64F the cycle takes 10-12 days to complete.

It has been found that Ich does not infect new fish at 29.4C/85F (Johnson, 1976), stops reproducing at 30C/86F (Dr. Nick St. Erne, DVM, pers. comm.), and dies at 32C/89.5F (Meyer, 1984), [1]
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php
I you are worried about the salt adn your neons (FYI I have used salt successfully on them) you can treat with heat alone.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dwarf, neon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com