Dwarf Puffer... Compatable With These?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just wandering what people's opinions are on keeping a dwarf puffer fish with my list of fish (below). I've read elsewhere that they can be fin nippers. This would only be a problem with my beta but i dont want any deaths!

I read that a puffer nipped at a fish (cant remember what it was called but it obviously had large fins) but then they ignored each other after that 1 incident. Mainly cus the victim was aware that the puffer would nip him so he'd swim away.

My fighting fish does square up to my loach sometimes, (when the loach is facing the other way, but still) and he will chase away the neons and danios.

Yeah thats my main concern. Puffer's drift about at all levels dont they?
if so thats what my Betta does and they'd surely clash or wouldnt mix.

Although surely they'd get used to each other, ignore each other or just have 1 or 2 minor fights?

Ah right, so yeah not a good idea. I thought my betta would cope with it as he's quite aggressive himself.

Surely size would play a part aswell and if i get a dwarf puffer they only grow to 1 inch, my betta is bigger than that.

well to continue it, would a dwarf puffer go well with the rest excluding the betta. being that it is semi-aggressive would it go well with mine? just curious and thought there is no need to make another thread

I dont know if i was looking at a different puffer to all these im reading about but the guy at the store said that "these are peacefull for puffers"

they are one of the more peaceful puffers to a point. BUt size doesnt really matter a whole lot when they get irritated. Ive seen a baby one attack a 8 inch dragon goby so........of course itll attack your betta.

ARGH!!

I think the dwarf puffers are awesome! I really want one, i think i'll get one and see how it goes. if it's bad i'll fish it out and take it back to the shop.

Although saying that they might clash in a few days when i've started to ease off the caution.

Oh i dont know what to do?!?!

Don't get one. If you absolutely have to have one, get a five gallon tank for it by itself. It will kill indiscriminantly regardless of what fish you have, regardless of its diminuitive size.

I agree, don't get one unless it's in a species tank. And the betta would be torn to pieces if you were to add a dwarf puffer.

The puffer will more than likely kill much larger fish than what you even have. They have known to go on fin-rides of silver dollars 20x their size! I highly suggest not putting any puffer of any kind in w/your fish. Dwarf puffers are in no way, mild-mannered puffers.

Back
Top Bottom