Dwarf puffer gender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mccl0e

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 Dwarf Puffers and one is a slightly lighter color than the rest. Are they just different genders? Is it sick? I've had them all for a few months and it's always looked like that and acts normal and eats. Just curious why it's a different color if there is a reason. IMG_0254.jpgIMG_0253.jpg

In the first picture it is in the back right and the second picture back left.

They are fine. in males look for expressed coloration, eye wrinkles and a dark line running down the abdomen. the females generally lack the bright coloration and generally have a more rounded appearance I will attach a care sheet for you.

Hope this helps :
Dwarf Puffer Fish, Pea Puffer, Indian Malabar Pufferfish
Family: Tetraodontidae
Malabar Puffer or Dwarf Puffer, Carinotetraodon travancoricus, Pea Puffer, India Malabar Pufferfish
Carinotetraodon travancoricus

Contents:
Malabar Puffer Facts
Habitat: Distribution / Background
Description
Keeping Malabar Puffer
Fish Keeping Difficulty
Foods and Feeding
Aquarium Care
Aquarium Setup
Social Behaviors
Sex: Sexual differences
Breeding / Reproduction
Fish Diseases
Availability
References
The Dwarf Puffer or Malabar Puffer Carinotetraodon travancoricus is about the size of a pea when you first get one of these cute little puffers. This tiny freshwater puffer is even called Pea Puffer, and is quite intriguing with its unique and endearing behaviors. There are quite a number of other common names it is also known by including India Malabar Pufferfish, Pygmy Pufferfish, Marble Puffer, Indian Dwarf Puffer, and Bumblebee Puffer.

This pygmy puffer fish is a very active and intelligent little fish. The Dwarf puffer fish swims in its own unique pattern making it a joy to watch. It has quite an inquisitive nature and is aware of what goes on outside the aquarium. Though a bit shy, it will watch you as you watch it and soon will come to recognize you.

The Dwarf Puffer is a freshwater fish that can be kept in a small aquarium, but like all puffers it has special needs and requirements. They should be kept in a species only tank as they are very aggressive fin nippers and can kill tank mates much larger than themselves. They need an environment full of plants and retreats, good water quality, and a good diet. If you meet their needs, you will find them a delightfully entertaining fish to keep.

The Dwarf Puffer fish is somewhat easier to take care of then many puffers. Their teeth are much softer then other puffers so the need to clip their teeth usually doesn't become a problem. They are however just as aggressive as the larger species so great care needs to be taken when choosing tank mates. Most slow swimming long-finned fish will become targets. Even though these little guys do not grow much over an inch they can kill fish much larger then themselves.

As adorable as these little guys are they come with great responsibility. A Dwarf Puffer owner can potentially have a pet that will be endangered in the near future. Though not currently listed on the IUCN Red List, the Malabar Puffers or Dwarf Puffers are reported as probably being an endangered species.

The dark line is the easiest way to tell. They are usually sold very young, though, and so they might not show their sex characteristics yet.

One of my puffers is slightly bigger and rounder, and permanently a speckled brown/black.

The other is slightly smaller, slimmer, and bright yellow and black most of the time, although it does go browner on occasion.

The first is definitely the boss.

I don't know yet about the sex. I'm thinking female and male respectively, but they need to grow up a bit more first.

The care sheet above is excellent.

Colouration alone is rarely a sign of sickness as many fish can go through varying shades as they grow, or even depending on the situation at the time.
If you're worried, look for unusual behaviour. Hiding away more, not eating, gasping, etc.

Back
Top Bottom