Dwarf puffer help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been reading up on dwarf puffers and they are just adorable. I have 1 LFS that even sells a puffer and they are dwarf species. I've got all water parameters written down and in check.

I plan on only having 1 puffer, to not cause territorial issues.

He will be in an already established tank that is 10g by himself, It currently has large gravel, and fake plants with barbs and Otocinclus. This will be entirely rescaped to sand and some live plants. The barbs will be rehomed to a 45g tank that if the ick does not clear up on the fish left, will be empty(I am treating the fish in there, it's white skirt tetras, 5 of them, and doing the heat treatment)

The only problem I'm having is I've heard they need tons of filtration, and I've heard they are very picky with food.

So recap:

Tank: 10 gallons-will be rescaped to sand and live plants.

Filtration- Nat. Geo. filter for 10g aquariums, I'd rather not replace it because it's established.

MarineLand Heater-up to 12 gallons I believe. Never had problems out of them.

Tank is cycled and clean.

So...

1. Do I need more filtration?

2. Best thing to start feeding them with?

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g tetras/dojo loach/clown pleco
~75g going to be African cichlids

Filtration- That should be plenty with only 1 in that tank, just keep up with your water changes of course. The rule is 1 to 5 gallons so you're ahead there.

Snails, snails.. and more snails. Blood worms, Brine shrimp, krill.. Once they've adjusted to the new tank they shouldn't be picky with anything from that selection.

Filtration- That should be plenty with only 1 in that tank, just keep up with your water changes of course. The rule is 1 to 5 gallons so you're ahead there.

Snails, snails.. and more snails. Blood worms, Brine shrimp, krill.. Once they've adjusted to the new tank they shouldn't be picky with anything from that selection.

What's the best type of snails to feed them?

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Pond snails are ridiculously easy to get and breed, although I recently saw something where Ram horns are the most beneficial. I don't remember why, but we feed a mix of both.

I don't think you have to worry about shells bring too hard for them. They'll suck the snail out of its shell- which is why they can eat the Malaysians as well. I haven't verified this personally with them- but I know of other people that have done it.

Pond snails are ridiculously easy to get and breed, although I recently saw something where Ram horns are the most beneficial. I don't remember why, but we feed a mix of both.

I don't think you have to worry about shells bring too hard for them. They'll suck the snail out of its shell- which is why they can eat the Malaysians as well. I haven't verified this personally with them- but I know of other people that have done it.

Thanks I'm sure I can find some pond snails. Any other recommendations?

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

For snails or in general?
Ask your local stores for pest snails- they will usually give you theirs.

For snails or in general?
Ask your local stores for pest snails- they will usually give you theirs.

I was referring to puffer care as a whole but I'm sure my LFS has some

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

They're smart, quite active too. Give them lots of things to explore so they don't get bored. You should be pretty set with a planted 10.
If you want some tank mates I've had success with Ghos Shrimp and Corydoras, although that can be a hit/miss situation.
It sounds like you're pretty much set already. Throw some snails into a tank to breed and you're good.
I have them breeding in my nanos, river biotope, and paddle-tails tank currently.

They're smart, quite active too. Give them lots of things to explore so they don't get bored. You should be pretty set with a planted 10.
If you want some tank mates I've had success with Ghos Shrimp and Corydoras, although that can be a hit/miss situation.
It sounds like you're pretty much set already. Throw some snails into a tank to breed and you're good.
I have them breeding in my nanos, river biotope, and paddle-tails tank currently.

Awesome :) I might try ghost shrimp. What do you feed them? Never done shrimps before

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Awesome :) I might try ghost shrimp. What do you feed them? Never done shrimps before

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
Everything you give to the puffer.
Which, ironically enough, includes brine shrimp and krill. They used to fight over everything. Picture a blood worm and two shrimp playing tug of war over it.

They're worth it for the entertainment factor alone. They would try to get the snails as well but I don't think they ever had much success. Mine would also go over the algae and hang off plants.

Everything you give to the puffer.
Which, ironically enough, includes brine shrimp and krill. They used to fight over everything. Picture a blood worm and two shrimp playing tug of war over it.

They're worth it for the entertainment factor alone. They would try to get the snails as well but I don't think they ever had much success. Mine would also go over the algae and hang off plants.

Haha I've heard shrimp have some personality aswell. Sounds fun thanks for the help :)

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

I'm keeping dwarf puffers right now, and I can tell you they're not easy. They need great filtration (canister filter preferred) and it can be difficult to feed them anything other than live pest snails. I got mine eating bloodworms and my LFS has a pest snail breeding tank so every week they get a wave of 30-40 snails lol. Over a few days the puffers take those out.

If you get the hang of keeping them though they can be a lot of fun! Just don't let them get bored (rearrange the tank every once in a while). Happy dwarf puffer keeping!

I TOTALLY agree with Pseudomugil. Mine doesn't accept anything except live blackworms and pest snails. I believe mine are bladder snails, but they are all pretty much the same. I have mine in a 2.5 gallon with the stock filter since the beginning of February, and he is doing just fine. Also, the only tank mate with him is a Dwarf Crayfish, and as far as I know, they don't even know that the other even exists. At PetCo, they have a plant tank and the plants in their are infested with snails. I'll go and ask if I can fish out some snails and they just let me get as many as I want. I wouldn't ever get a Dwarf Puffer again because of how hard they are to care for and their special needs. Don't let me stop you, and I think it would be lots easier in a 10 gallon. You could probably do 2 Puffers, 4 Oto's, and maybe some Ghosts. Just be warned: You can't slack if you do want to keep these fish.

Nils

I TOTALLY agree with Pseudomugil. Mine doesn't accept anything except live blackworms and pest snails. I believe mine are bladder snails, but they are all pretty much the same. I have mine in a 2.5 gallon with the stock filter since the beginning of February, and he is doing just fine. Also, the only tank mate with him is a Dwarf Crayfish, and as far as I know, they don't even know that the other even exists. At PetCo, they have a plant tank and the plants in their are infested with snails. I'll go and ask if I can fish out some snails and they just let me get as many as I want. I wouldn't ever get a Dwarf Puffer again because of how hard they are to care for and their special needs. Don't let me stop you, and I think it would be lots easier in a 10 gallon. You could probably do 2 Puffers, 4 Oto's, and maybe some Ghosts. Just be warned: You can't slack if you do want to keep these fish.

Nils

Great advice. As I said I'm shooting for just 1 at first so I don't deal with aggression issues. Again it seems like feeding them is the biggest problem.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Puffers are a whole world away from normal fish keeping. It's recommended that you have at least a years experience with fish keeping prior to attempting puffers.
It took me weeks, maybe more to train mine to take frozens. You just have to be persistent. I use tongs with all of my puffers.
Puffers do have specialized needs, and the Dwarfs are the most simple to take care for out of all of them.
It's still definitely not a fish you want to make an impulse buy out of. Any small amount of research will tell you that.

Puffers are a whole world away from normal fish keeping. It's recommended that you have at least a years experience with fish keeping prior to attempting puffers.
It took me weeks, maybe more to train mine to take frozens. You just have to be persistent. I use tongs with all of my puffers.
Puffers do have specialized needs, and the Dwarfs are the most simple to take care for out of all of them.
It's still definitely not a fish you want to make an impulse buy out of. Any small amount of research will tell you that.

I'm very dedicated to my fish and I never impulse buy. I've done research on all my fish for weeks before I get them.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

I'm very dedicated to my fish and I never impulse buy. I've done research on all my fish for weeks before I get them.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
I was speaking in general, I've seen too many people do it on impulse. It's usually the GSP or the Figure 8s that get it the worst.

It's obvious you've done the research.
(+1 on that)
And the cycled tank. And the established filter..

You can always upgrade. I've got HOBs (Aquaclears) that are all in the process of being upgraded to Fluval canisters. Next step, Eheim.

I was speaking in general, I've seen too many people do it on impulse. It's usually the GSP or the Figure 8s that get it the worst.

It's obvious you've done the research.
(+1 on that)
And the cycled tank. And the established filter..

You can always upgrade. I've got HOBs (Aquaclears) that are all in the process of being upgraded to Fluval canisters. Next step, Eheim.

Thanks ? yeah I'm that fish owner that will count every single creature to make sure it is okay every day.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Thanks ? yeah I'm that fish owner that will count every single creature to make sure it is okay every day.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
We have 10 tanks running right now, four brackish. They all get fed each morning, at least half of them get frozen foods. Salinity gets checked on all the brackish tanks.
My puffers all get shrimp that is fed by tongs initially, the remaining is thawed, chopped, and tossed in.
My Moray eels..I won't go into detail on them.
My Electric Catfish and Paddle-Tail Newt both get fed earthworms..
And all the benthic feeders have their own algae rocks grown in the window.

It's a bit of a chore lol. But I don't think anyone gets into the hobby because it's easy.

Back
Top Bottom