Dwarf puffer in a 5 gallon??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishdreamz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I put a dwarf puffer in a five gallon established aquarium?? Pros and cons
If not what about a 12 gallon??? Do they like to be with other dwarf puffers or alone?

I had 2 indian dwarf puffers in a 10 gallon and they did fine they are the coolest fish ive ever had definetly recommend getting some

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think its a for sure thing for me eventually. Do u think I should invest in a larger tank to help prevent water quality errors with the little dwarfs. Or would they just be lost in a big tank?

After my first one died I moved my second to my 75g tank and he seems to like it my local fish store that I got my puffers from said 5 gallons for every puffer should be fine but I know everyone has their own opinion but from my experience with them id say that to be true

I say 5g is fine for one. One will not get lonely, as they are very territorial. Make sure you have a good filter because they are waste producers and they do waste food.

Also after my one died my other seemed to actually be depressed I plan to get more for him to be around they do sometimes fight but they do seem to like to be together the only thing is feeding them if you plan to have other fish with them invest in a cone feeder and live blood worms otherwise he other fish will eat them I just gave away 20 guppys because my puffer wasnt geting any food

The puffers will honestly only eat snails and bloodworms in my experience with them but are really cool fish to have and 5 gallon tank would be perfect and in a 12 gallon you could do two maybe three and see if they dont fight to much at my LFS they are only $2.99

Sent from my PRO7D using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to hold off for now and wait until I can get my 12 gallon stable enough. I also need to figure out how to get the live food. I'm thinking I would have to produce it myself. Do the like live brine? I know how to do that though it can be tedious. What about frozen food. I just don't see how I would be able to keep the water clean from food debris. Live food i could see would not be as wasted. Abundance of snails in another tank might be good.

Dwarf puffers really need to be in a tank by their selves. When they are little they will tolerate other fish but when they mature they get really aggressive. There are many post on here of people trying to keep them with other fish or other puffers and it leads to disaster. If you have a heavily planted 10 gallon, you can sometimes get away with keeping two. If they see each other they will fight. Sometimes you luck out and get a placid one but it is the exception not the rule. You can feed them frozen bloodworms from a long tweezers. You can also try earthworms (cut up), thawed frozen shrimp, ghost shrimp (live), mosquito larvae, and the brine shrimp but rinse the salt off first. Here is a link to a forum all about puffers thepufferforum.com Great site for research.

Back
Top Bottom