Dwarf puffer info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samfred0205

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was interested in getting some dwarf puffer (1or2) are they truly freshwater and how would they do with my current tank mates (Australian rainbows, buenos aires tetras, Colombian tetras, rams)

I was interested in getting some dwarf puffer (1or2) are they truly freshwater and how would they do with my current tank mates (Australian rainbows, buenos aires tetras, Colombian tetras, rams)

They are fw but from all the infi I have read they are nit friendly with much else

"They are capable of killing tank mates much larger than themselves with their relentless picking and nipping. Also, their small size can cause them to be eaten by larger fish. If you're going to keep dwarves, plan to provide them with their very own tank. There are a few tank mates that can be successfully kept with dwarves"

From dwarfpuffers.com :-(

Some people have had success with otos, but that's about it I think.

Yup its do-able. If you end up getting one for your community tank, then expect problems over the years of keeping the dwarf puffer. They are recommended as species only or solitary only.

I had two Dwarf Puffers in my community tank and they harassed the hell out if everybody in there!! :( nipped their fins, chased them.. U name it. I was so sad because I so badly wanted them to work, they are the most adorable looking fish I think!! But despite their size they are ferocious lol...not to mention poisonous so depending on its tank mates, if eaten by one of them they would likely kill whomever tried to eat it. They are also harder to feed and eat very slow compared to most fish so u need to make sure they are getting enough as they don't totally join the feeding frenzy. I tried everything to get them to work gave them " time outs" re introduced, rearranged things they would be good for a few days but always go back to their territorial feisty selves .. I highly recommend a species only tank .. Good luck!

I had two Dwarf Puffers in my community tank and they harassed the hell out if everybody in there!! :( nipped their fins, chased them.. U name it. I was so sad because I so badly wanted them to work, they are the most adorable looking fish I think!! But despite their size they are ferocious lol...not to mention poisonous so depending on its tank mates, if eaten by one of them they would likely kill whomever tried to eat it. They are also harder to feed and eat very slow compared to most fish so u need to make sure they are getting enough as they don't totally join the feeding frenzy. I tried everything to get them to work gave them " time outs" re introduced, rearranged things they would be good for a few days but always go back to their territorial feisty selves .. I highly recommend a species only tank .. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience. These are some of problems that are likely to occur when keeping a dwarf puffer in a community tank. There are a few more problems to unanticipate lol. Problems = less enjoyable hobby.

I have three dwarf puffers in their own tank, I would avoid putting them with any other fish because even ones much larger than themselves they will see as food and constantly nip at them. Strangely though, they are fine together. As I said I have three and they get along fine

I have 3 in a species only tank. I would not put them in with my community. the 3 I have have already killed 2 other DPs that were added at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom