dwarf puffer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linds3y

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that dwarf puffers need 3-5 gallons each but would it be possible to have just 1 dp in a 3 gallon? I have a couple just sitting around empty.

5g minimum for nano tanks (anything under 20-30 gallons).

3g per DP in very large systems like 50s, 60s, and 70. I never recommend 3g or 4g per DP. Always 5g for every single DP in any kind of system.

Last edited:
Well if you have a good filter I think you can add a dp to your three gallon aquarium.

Filtration only convert ammonia to nitrAte and pick up some waste off the substrate (moving water). It does not get rid of any dissolved waste in the water, which can be deadly if exposed in heavy amounts. This is why overstocked is never encouraged, especially in those cichlid tanks.

Its a 3g tank; however, substrate and decor displaces water, so you end up with approximately 2.5g of water or less, depending on how much water you displace.
Even if a DP is kept in a 3g, the keeper will have to do more than one 50% water change per week and test frequently. This is not ideal for most people. I'm a huge advocate of water changes, but I find it difficult to do more than one 50% water change per week. Its a hassle to do more than once and test weekly. Keep it as easy as possible for long-term success. Fish keeping should be super easy.

He should be fine ive had mine in a betta bowl wit led blue and red lights from walmart for like a year now jus set it up an make it look dope for em an hell b happy. Maybe some salt. Yea good filter nuthn special. And feed em hella. Mine jumps in amd out when i show em the food now.

He should be fine ive had mine in a betta bowl wit led blue and red lights from walmart for like a year now jus set it up an make it look dope for em an hell b happy. Maybe some salt. Yea good filter nuthn special. And feed em hella. Mine jumps in amd out when i show em the food now.

Sounds like your fish is trying to survive. I would be surprised to see your puff reach year 2 or 3.

The minimum requirements help increase the lifespan of these fish, which is 5+ years.

Terrance said:
Sounds like your fish is trying to survive. I would be surprised to see your puff reach year 2 or 3.

The minimum requirements help increase the lifespan of these fish, which is 5+ years.

+1 on that

Thanks for everything guys! Whenever I decide to break down my 15 and give away my neons I might set up a 5 gallon that I have and get a new lid for it so I can get a dp :) they're such cute lil guys

Would one be happy alone in a 5 gallon or would it be happy in a group of like 4 in my 15?

1 would be snug as a bug in a 5g

Yup 1 DP in a 5g tank will definitely be much happier than 3 DP in a 15g tank. The difference is huge IMO.

The 1 DP in the 5g tank does not have to constantly protect its territory from other DP. Also no fighting when feeding. Those a stress factors.

Back
Top Bottom