Dwarf Puffer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh really? Disregard my post with overemphansized words than lol
I want one of these but I am not allowed to have another tank.... lol

:lol: Me either. I told my girlfriend we didn't need a kitchen table because I could fit a nice 75 gallon tank there. That didn't go over so well.

:lol: Me either. I told my girlfriend we didn't need a kitchen table because I could fit a nice 75 gallon tank there. That didn't go over so well.

Lol dude you should have suggested a 55. Then there woukd still be alittle room to eat lol coolest center piece ever lol

No no no you do need to feed puffers on snals shrimp crabs and other crustations all of them its part of the way thay live Its posable to keep them alive with out but you have to knock the fish out every 2 weeks to manualy file the teath oh and dont forget weekly 50% water change minimum per week some do up to 80% on biger tanks I had pufers for over 5 yeairs its not a easy fish to start with but thay have the most puppy like behaviour mine used to greet me as I walked in the house remember they are clever so can get bord not a big problem with dwarf puffers though more the amazonian and the spoted basically the biger breeds

No no no you do need to feed puffers on snals shrimp crabs and other crustations all of them its part of the way thay live Its posable to keep them alive with out but you have to knock the fish out every 2 weeks to manualy file the teath oh and dont forget weekly 50% water change minimum per week some do up to 80% on biger tanks I had pufers for over 5 yeairs its not a easy fish to start with but thay have the most puppy like behaviour mine used to greet me as I walked in the house remember they are clever so can get bord not a big problem with dwarf puffers though more the amazonian and the spoted basically the biger breeds

According to dwarfpuffers.com dwarf puffers are the only puffers that do not require snails to file their teeth.

Well I had a tank of them for 3 weeks and had 3 die in 1 night then the other 6 the next and thay starved unfortunately I didn't do a post mortom on them but had no noticeable disease so my advice is to feed small snails trumpit snails breed fast and would be a good size for the job I must admit I went on to spoted puffers insted as the feeding was easy and looks even beter but thats my opinion and you will find most that have had puffers get there little ways to keep them alive I even knew one man that did actuly file his fishes teath and did it for yeais but I wouldent even try that job

Lol. I just got rid of my dining room table so I could keep fish tanks in my dining room!

Lol. I just got rid of my dining room table so I could keep fish tanks in my dining room!

That's awesome. You know, I made a good argument. We never sit at the kitchen table. We either eat at the couch to watch TV or I eat at my computer desk. All it does is collect clutter.

I even knew one man that did actuly file his fishes teath and did it for yeais but I wouldent even try that job

No way, I'd definitely splurge on a few snails before I did that. :lol:

That's awesome. You know, I made a good argument. We never sit at the kitchen table. We either eat at the couch to watch TV or I eat at my computer desk. All it does is collect clutter.

Those are the exact reasons I used to justify it, too! Lol! I was tired of all the crap piled on it all the time. I love my fish room though!! That's really hilarious.

I'm really excited about this thread. I have been looking for one to follow along. I have a 10 gallon cycling right now for 2 dwarf puffers. :) I think I will heavily plant it and maybe add some driftwood. :) good luck with your dwarf puffers!!!

Those are the exact reasons I used to justify it, too! Lol! I was tired of all the crap piled on it all the time. I love my fish room though!! That's really hilarious.

I'm really excited about this thread. I have been looking for one to follow along. I have a 10 gallon cycling right now for 2 dwarf puffers. :) I think I will heavily plant it and maybe add some driftwood. :) good luck with your dwarf puffers!!!

That's cool, you'll love them. I'm still on the fence about getting another 1. I've seen some pretty good arguments for keeping DP's alone.

That's cool, you'll love them. I'm still on the fence about getting another 1. I've seen some pretty good arguments for keeping DP's alone.

I hope so. :) I've been wanting them for a long time and somehow ended up with a spare 10 gallon! I'm ecstatic. Could I put a little cuc in there, you think?

Edit: whoops, I didn't mean to hijack. I'm going to start a thread right now. :) hope you follow along!

Haha I'm glad my thread started a good conversation about these little guys:) my
Two dwarfs seem to be very happy in the 10 gallon but they say 1 for every 5 gallons so I would stick to two in your 10! I do have two Otto cats in there as well, so we will see how that goes. I fed them frozen bloodworm last night & one loved it, the other not so interested.. So tonight I'm going to try brine. They say to test bloodworm, brine, krill, daphnia.. Just to see what they like the best. & considering my boyfriend and I have 4 planted tanks in our apartment, ponds snails will never be an issue ;) I did read that dwarfs don't need them.. But they do enjoy them so I'm throwing some in there anyways for them to eat :) & for people new to dwarfs.. Be careful how much you feed them. I read they will eat until they explode :-x so you must watch that!

I've done quite a bit of research so if anyone has questions feel free to ask! I'll keep you all updated :)

Oh & the comment abut the kitchen table being used for a 75.. Sounds just like my boyfriend. I got a new dresser & that was his first thought as well. Lol

Love this treat too!! I just picked up my new tank for a DP.... If I take the filter sponge for new tank and stuff it in my community tank and leave it for a few weeks (how long?) it should grow a good colony of BB right? I would then put it in new tank, let it run for a for a few hours (not too long as I know the BB will die without a source to feed on) the tank will be a cycled tank yes?? Ready to manage my new guys waste safely? Am I on track or is this wrong? Thanks in advance.

Well I have never cycled a new tank this way.. Typically I would take old filter media from my established tank such as your community tank and stick it in the filter of my new tank.. Or even just place it in the water in front of the water flowing out of the filter to get that crap all mixed into the water. It looks disgusting..but it works. Leave the new media in the filter as well to get that built up too. Just don't rush it. :) having it up & running for a couple
Of weeks should work. Do you plan on doing a planted tank? Plants help to cycle a tank quicker as well.

People may have other opinions or advice.. But this has personally always worked for me! Good luck!

Well I have never cycled a new tank this way.. Typically I would take old filter media from my established tank such as your community tank and stick it in the filter of my new tank.. Or even just place it in the water in front of the water flowing out of the filter to get that crap all mixed into the water. It looks disgusting..but it works. Leave the new media in the filter as well to get that built up too. Just don't rush it. :) having it up & running for a couple
Of weeks should work. Do you plan on doing a planted tank? Plants help to cycle a tank quicker as well.

People may have other opinions or advice.. But this has personally always worked for me! Good luck!

Thanks v much, yes should be planted with low light plants (my first attempt at plants!) looking forward to it...thinking sand too? Can't wait to get my little puffer, quite like the name Mork, loved Mork and Mindy as a kid and these puffers look a little alien to me :) or Gizmo !!

Awesome! Yes I recommend sand for the puffers because rougher substrates can hurt them. If using just sand for your plants make sure to put root tabs in to help with nutrients! Haha I love Gizmo! Good fit for a puffer!

Awesome! Yes I recommend sand for the puffers because rougher substrates can hurt them. If using just sand for your plants make sure to put root tabs in to help with nutrients! Haha I love Gizmo! Good fit for a puffer!

Hi, it's been a while! How is your puffer doing? Would love to see pic if possible?!
Well, I am finally.....almost ready for my little guy, will include pic of tank. Maybe you could let me know if there is anything that is not considered 'puffer friendly' please. Thank you, any tips much appreciated:)

image-2381508139.jpg

Back
Top Bottom