dwarf puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
im thinking about making my 10g into a dwarf puffer tank. but i cant find much about them online. so i have a few questions
- what do i feed them? what should i feed them when im on vacation?
- how many could i have in a 10g? (i know only 1 male)
- do you know where to get them?
- what should i have in there tank? fake or live plants?
- will they go after my hand if i rearrange their tank? (just wondering)
- other things to know or what are some good sites to go on?
thanks!
( i know they prefer sand which i have)

Dwarf Puffers : Home

Thats the best website I've found for the dwarf puffer, a freshwater puffer fish from India.

- what do i feed them? what should i feed them when im on vacation?
Wild caught ones generally eat snails, live bloodworms and blackworms, and often shrimp. It can be hard to get them to eat dead prepared foods. Tank raised puffers can be trained to eat dead food easier.

Vacation could be tricky, as they can be messy eaters and just adding a bunch of snails they might kill them all and leave a bunch of half eaten snails rotting. I'd suggest anything "automatic" you try out while you're not on vacation so you can trouble shoot any problems that might kill your fish if you're not there.

- what should i have in there tank? fake or live plants?
The general consensus is it doesn't matter if they're fake or real, as long as you have lots.

- will they go after my hand if i rearrange their tank? (just wondering)
Puffers are very curious, and will most likely check out your hand if you put it in the tank. Despite being carnivores, I don't think they can hurt you. When they kill other fish it's mostly from constant fin nipping I think.

- how many could i have in a 10g? (i know only 1 male)

They recommend 5g per puffer and 15g minimum tank size. Many owners say if you decorate your 10g right you should be alright with 2 females and 1 male. They are messy eaters so make sure you have good biological filtration.

- do you know where to get them?

I heard Petco or Petland used to sell them. They can be hard to breed in captivity. I'm up the coast in Canada and I'm having trouble locating a seller. I found a Mom and Pop LFS thats about 200 miles away they get them in occasionally so when I get my tank set up I'll try there.

I'd suggest phoning your local aquarium stores, and if they say no ask if they have any suggestions. Try aquarium classifieds, etc.

Good Luck
30098-albums1142-picture7907.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom