Dwarf Puffer Water Perimeter worries?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sydney_Jolene

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have two dwarf puffers in a 10 gallon planted tank. Tank mates include one otto and ghost shrimp. My water perimeters currently read Ph:7.6 Nitrates: 0 Nitrites: 0 and Ammonia: .25. Everything reads well except the slight amount of Ammonia. Is this reading anything I should worry about at this point? I know that I could purchase Zeolite to reduce this..however 1 gram would reduce about 1.5mg..so should I hold off on purchasing this and simply increase the amount of water changes and continue to check the ammonia level?

Thanks!

Sound's like you're not cycled? You have no Nitrates, so you should most probably start cycling if you're not already:)

The tank has been set up for about 2 months now and it used to hold one betta, 3 julie corys and 5 cherry barbs before I recently upgraded up them a 20 gallon. Is it possible the tank is still not yet cycled? I did a 50% water change today for the puffers...could that have anything to do with it?

The tank has been set up for about 2 months now and it used to hold one betta, 3 julie corys and 5 cherry barbs before I recently upgraded up them a 20 gallon. Is it possible the tank is still not yet cycled? I did a 50% water change today for the puffers...could that have anything to do with it?
Do you have a filter? Did you recently change the filter before seeding the new filter media?

I did some research and my nitrates are at zero due to my plants, over filtration and under stocked. My plants absorb any nitrates in there and with puffers you need heavy filtration due to their amount of waste and you can only have 1 puffer for every 5 gallons. And puffers aren't fond of tank mates..so I'm limited to the amount of fish I can have in there. I don't believe my nitrates level are an issue at this point however I am still questioning my ammonia levels.

1. what kind of test kit do you have?
2. how much and how often are water changes done?
3. do you happen to know gh/kh?

Back
Top Bottom