Dwarf Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I will soon have a new 10 gal and once I cycle I was wondering if I would be able to put a dwarf puffer in . I always feel bad and want to rescue one from walmart when I see them chasing there tail in circles.

Those aren't dwarf puffers. Those are green spotted puffers which need minimum 30 gal. If you can find a dwarf puffer you could get 2 of them, but plant it heavily or else they'll fight.

AquaKai said:
Those aren't dwarf puffers. Those are green spotted puffers which need minimum 30 gal. If you can find a dwarf puffer you could get 2 of them, but plant it heavily or else they'll fight.

Thank you!! I was just there today and saw them and it made me wonder.

No problem:) my sister thought the same thing so I did lots of research. If you need to know anything else just ask!

I have always wondered this but however much I try to surprise them they never ' blow up '. Do they actually blow up when frightened?

Yes they do but don't do it too often because it stresses it out. They puff up because they become upset or frightened or sometimes just because they're mad.

I remember my oldest brother dancing around infront of the puffer tank trying to make them blow up for his daughter when she was 2 (4 now). Those poor things are so lethargic and sickly looking but there faces are so cute. I hate walmart.

Same just going and looking at the poor fish just makes me want to buy them all. But then I stop and think about the costs... Also if you really wanted to help one of the puffers you could buy it now and get a 30 gal in a few months or you could try to find a dwarf puffer (which is what I am currently doing)

AquaKai said:
Same just going and looking at the poor fish just makes me want to buy them all. But then I stop and think about the costs... Also if you really wanted to help one of the puffers you could buy it now and get a 30 gal in a few months or you could try to find a dwarf puffer (which is what I am currently doing)

With having to buy the turtle a 55 soon I think I will just wait and look for a really dwarf puffer. It just saddens me to see them in that state in a 3 gallon tank with ten others. I need to stop going into walmarts fish section.

I always drop by the fish section when I go to any store. Its hard not to do it.

Just got a dwarf puffer, 2 LFS in the Minneapolis area had them, priced around 6 dollars each

Dwarf puffers won't fight in a non-planted tank. People highly suggest placing them in planted tanks because they tend to get bored fairly quick. It has nothing to do with aggression.

I've never heard that. I kind of doubt it because I frequently see people saying you can heavily plant the tank with live or plastic plants.

Back
Top Bottom