Dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishlover

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im thinking about making my new 20-30 gallon tank a dwarf puffer tank. First question is should I use sand or gravel? And would clay pots be adequate hiding areas? Currently the tank is empty and I want to get all supplies before starting it up. Thanks in advance!

Im thinking about making my new 20-30 gallon tank a dwarf puffer tank. First question is should I use sand or gravel? And would clay pots be adequate hiding areas? Currently the tank is empty and I want to get all supplies before starting it up. Thanks in advance!

1. Either or, it's personal preference.
2. Yes. However, I would recommend a lot more hiding places than just clay pots. To keep dwarf puffers together is a bit challenging since they are highly aggressive to one another. I would suggest a super heavily planted tank with enough plants to break lines of vision so that they can't see one another.

Ok. I was at first thinking of a figure eight puffer but decided to stay with straight freshwater. I have gravel but didn't know if they preferred sand. And I have driftwood that I might add and figured adding a couple pots wouldn't hurt. Also planned on adding multiple plants. I got a $50 gift card to my lfs so I'm excited to go shopping!

you sure can add a lot of small clay pots all over the place. these caves are excellent hiding spots. face the opening of the cave in different direction.

Sounds good. And clay pots seem to be cheaper then aquarium decor.

its a bit of a side question on your post but its not a very big tank we all know puffers are very aggresive how many can you put in the size of tank you have

Honestly I'm not sure. That was my next question. So thanks for bringing it up! And also I know they eat snails so could I throw a couple in my community tank so they could reproduce that way I have plenty?

5g per pea please. these puffers do not get overgrown teeth. You don't have to feed snails, but they are an easy source to obtain. Don't grow them in your community tank. Its really tough to get rid of them once they start breeding.

If you don't feed it snails what can you feed it? Sorry don't mean to hijack I have a thread going also on puffers. My wife wants a puffer tank. Now I'm going with dwarf puffers. It's a 20 gallon.

Ya. Of snails aren't needed what food source would u recommend? If its a variety how often should I feed each food? My goal is to have a happy healthy tank. So all advice is very welcome! Thanks to all who post.

Still wondering if you don't need to feed snails and have a whole snail colony in your house what are you feeding your dwarf puffer? Would really like to know. Wife wants to go out tomorrow and at least get everything and set it all up. Gonna go planted! :)

When I had my DP, I fed her raw shrimp. These shrimps were frozen at the grocery store, but I thawed in a cup of aquarium water. It didn't dirty the water because I held the shrimp by the tail and dip it in the water. My DP would eat until her tummy is slightly rounded, then I remove. If not raw shrimp, then I fed live worms because worms are usually packed full of vitamins. These become a lot more messy during feeding. Get a turkey baster and suck up all remaining pieces of the worm.

Most sources feed frozen blood worms and snails. Snails are nutritious, and blood worms are better off being treats for DP. I didn't go this route because blood worms are expensive and I didn't want to keep a separate snail tank. I only fed snails if my LFS had some to give away.

1 piece of raw shrimp can be cut up into smaller pieces and it can last over one week of feeding. Its a good idea to thaw these raw shrimp in vitamin water, such as vitachem. Vitachem is good cheap insurance for your DP to get all of its vitamins because these fish can live past 5 years if you keep them well fed (but never overfed) and at least 50% weekly water changes.

Terrance said:
When I had my DP, I fed her raw shrimp. These shrimps were frozen at the grocery store, but I thawed in a cup of aquarium water. It didn't dirty the water because I held the shrimp by the tail and dip it in the water. My DP would eat until her tummy is slightly rounded, then I remove. If not raw shrimp, then I fed live worms because worms are usually packed full of vitamins. These become a lot more messy during feeding. Get a turkey baster and suck up all remaining pieces of the worm.

Most sources feed frozen blood worms and snails. Snails are nutritious, and blood worms are better off being treats for DP. I didn't go this route because blood worms are expensive and I didn't want to keep a separate snail tank. I only fed snails if my LFS had some to give away.

1 piece of raw shrimp can be cut up into smaller pieces and it can last over one week of feeding. Its a good idea to thaw these raw shrimp in vitamin water, such as vitachem. Vitachem is good cheap insurance for your DP to get all of its vitamins because these fish can live past 5 years if you keep them well fed (but never overfed) and at least 50% weekly water changes.

Thanks for the info T! My wife is gonna love these guys!! Gonna setup the tank and start the cycle I have media from other tanks so won't be long! :)

Anyone else have any info I should know. Or have preferences between sand or gravel? And any tricks to getting plants to grow faster?

Back
Top Bottom