Dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubbles0oO

Aquarium Advice Addict
I believe that's what they are called. Small pufferfish that live in brackish water? Anyho I have a 30 gal tank and want to know if a filter meant for a 55 gal would be too much flow, also what do you reccomend for how many I can get I know 2 there could be an aggression problem could three work? Would It be bad to put the tank I front of a window even if I put a cover along the back of the tank? What kind of plants will work for one? Any info is appreciated

:fish2: :fish2: :fish2:

I'm not experianced in puffers, but i can tell you putting a tank in front of window is a VERY bad idea. Even if you put a cover on tne back, the sun will still heat up the tank.

I've thought about dwarf puffers but never kept them. I'm sure Terrance will come and tell you all you need to know but from what I understand, you're looking at maybe 4 DP in a 30g. You need good filtration as they need a high protein diet but direct the flow so that they're not constantly struggling with it. They are very territorial so need plenty of plants & ornaments so they can have their own space.
Hope that helps!

I was about to get some Terrance and a few other taught me about them. They eat can eat snails. http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/ has good info. Near window will produce alagae I don't know about heat though. Have one near window but now heat yet :) I think maybe around 4-5 puffers for 30G.

Ok cool would it make a difference if I cover the outside of the window? What is a good male female ratio so tht there isn't much aggression

( exited to get some stammers as I read that's what they do l ok just watch....0.0)

Bubbles0oO said:
Ok cool would it make a difference if I cover the outside of the window? What is a good male female ratio so tht there isn't much aggression

( exited to get some stammers as I read that's what they do l ok just watch....0.0)

I don't know about the aggression but don't know if you have to deal with that (probably). Some people paint it black of do something with a background if it is near a window I don't know if this works.

I read that as juveniles they group but when the get sexually mature they get aggressive and territorial

Be certain that you are looking at dwarf puffers. They are pure freshwater fish.

If you have a 30g, then the dimension would be 36(long)x18(wide)x12(tall). The tank is suitable for 6 peas. Less is better though. I'd suggest only have 1 male in the tank and the rest being female. You'll end up with less aggression issues.

As stated previously, the tank will need to be crammed full of decor and plants.

Diet of snails and live blackworms will be good for you puffs. Live food is packed full of nutrition. Its better than dead and frozen food.

There's a "best" way to introduce the puffer into captivity. I'll post it later.

When I was at my lfs I saw them and it was a few weeks ago the guy said they were brackish, idk , I have thought about them ever since could the 55 filter I have work for this tank?

14.5g = 2 DP
If its a really long tank, then you could SQUEEZE in a 3rd. IMHO 5g is the absolute minimum. You'll have less problems in the long-run. Most people only have success in the short-run when stuffing their tank with DPs.

Bring a camera with you every time you go to the fish store ;)
I never go without one. Helps me compare fish from one store to the next.

Make sure you over filter the tank they are messy eaters. Can't wait to grt mine :)

Sorry yes didn't read your last post :) just look at the gph. Should be 10xs the gallons normally and more is better. So you should have more than 300gph I'm assuming that's around 500?

My brother is running 300gph in his 10g. His 2 DPs get blown away sometimes, but they learn to live with the current. These fish does come from rivers in the wild. Strong current is good exercise for them lol.

Terrance said:
My brother is running 300gph in his 10g. His 2 DPs get blown away sometimes, but they learn to live with the current. These fish does come from rivers in the wild. Strong current is good exercise for them lol.

Wow I thought my 200gph was overkill!! I love dp can't wait to find them!

Would I need a sponge filter? I read that gravel can hurt thier bellies so sand can also get sucked up by non sponge filters? Is there a way to make a regular filter a sponge?

Back
Top Bottom