Dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forest3544

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey I'm thinking about setting up a ten gallon tank and wanted to put some pea puffers in there but I was not sure how many would fit in the tank.

I know that the tank should be full of decor and plants to disrupt there line of sight

I have one in a 9g with 2 Amano's and plants. I wasn't brave enough to risk 2 battling. IMG_1442.jpg

I have 4 in a 20l, it's heavily planted and structured, they're all ok together.

Hey I'm thinking about setting up a ten gallon tank and wanted to put some pea puffers in there but I was not sure how many would fit in the tank.

I know that the tank should be full of decor and plants to disrupt there line of sight

I just got one a few weeks ago. He (she?) is in a 5 gallon with black sand and fake plants. Super cute, very fun to watch.

I researched a lot before I got it, and I came to the conclusion that 5 gallons for the first puffer, 3 gallons for each additional is optimal. With that though, I would say 3 would be better than two in a tank. I only put one in my 5 gallon because I was nervous about fighting.

I have two in a planted 5.5 gallon and they never fight and do great together.

A rule that I went by when I kept DP's a few years ago was 5g per dwarf puffer. However, if your tank is heavily planted to where the sight lines are broken up really well, you can get away with 3 gallons per DP after 5 gallons for the first. I.e. 8 gallons for 2, 11 gallons for 3, etc. Breaking up the sight lines helps reduce tension and aggression between DP's. They have such a unique personality that they may be inseparable or they may hate each other even if there's 20 gallons for only 2! Haha.
In conclusion, it's safest to give them 5 gallons per dwarf puffer since you won't know their temperament towards another dp.

Back
Top Bottom