Dwarf Puffers and Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hazarrd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a Dwarf Puffer tank and have heard that snails make good food for them. Can they survive solely on snails? Can I simply put a few snails in the tank that are known to breed and let things take their course? What type of snails would you recommend? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi,

Pond snails are a favorite, but you should feed other live foods as well. Frozen foods are taken with gusto and you can try flake foods, although the latter is not always accepted.

David

Ramshorn Snails are also a good choice. I have heard mixed reports in Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Some say that the shells are too hard, some day the Puffer sucks the Snail out of the shell and doesn't crack through it. As my Puffer tank is getting set up I can neither deny or confirm that.

@David: what other love foods do you recommend? Do they accept baby Brine Shrimp?

:) Yay puffers!! Your puffer is going to need a diet meatier than only snails- frozen mysis, bloodworms, shrimp and occasional freeze-dried jumbo krill treat along with "nuisance" snails a couple times a week will keep him happy. Befriend some of your lfs workers/ owners, including petco (hey, the one near me is awesome and educated- I feel no guilt mwah ha ha)- a lot of times they will give you a bunch of them if you just ask (nuisance pond/ plant snails)....

@David: what other love foods do you recommend? Do they accept baby Brine Shrimp?
Yes, and they don't have to be baby-sized either. Worm-type foods are also relished, live and frozen. I'd like to stress the importance of offering snails, though, as snails provide more than just nutrition; they also keep their "beaks" maintained.

David

Back
Top Bottom